New 10 Gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jersysman

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was just given a 10 gallon tank. Any ideas on how I can stock it? I'm used to a little bigger tank and haven't a clue as to what is good in a 10 gallon.

Okay, I should have been a little more specific. I already have 2 bettas in 2 five gallon tanks. I'm trying to stay away from live bearers because I don't have any space left for fry. Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Mollies need a larger tank than a 10 gal. They need the swimming space, therefore shouldn't be put in a tank that small. (I know, I have one in my 10 gal but he's getting ready to be put into the 29 gal).

Are there any fish in particular that you are interested in?

Fishyfanatic, most of the fish that I am interested in need a larger tank. I've never done a 10 gallon before, but I wasn't going to not take a free tank. Hmmmm. I see that you have Tetras in yours. Are tetras a good fish for a 10? In that case, I might look at some black skirts or something like that.

liveaquaria.com lists the minimum tank size of Skirt tetra's of 20 gal. I'm not too sure on how accurate that is since I've never kept them. I do know that there are many that (by their tank sizes) do fine in 10 gal tanks.

Personally, since you already have the bettas and are trying to stay away from livebearers, I would go with some little tetras (like neons, and/or red flame) and some small rasboras (like harlequins) I used to have all three types that I just mentioned, and they seemed to like hanging out together. I LOVE their colors, and they're such spritely little things :D

Take a look at the African Cichlid Shell Dwellers. Great little fish with personality. And most of them only get to be about 2 inches so you can keep a trio in a 10 if you give them some shells to live in.

Tetras and Rasboras sound good. I definitely will want some corys. Anybody else have any ideas? I'm still open to suggestions.

mentallylost said:
Take a look at the African Cichlid Shell Dwellers. Great little fish with personality. And most of them only get to be about 2 inches so you can keep a trio in a 10 if you give them some shells to live in.

I've always heard about these fish, but always wondered where the shells come from.

i was gonna suggest you could do all male guppies, but i don't know if that would cause a problem in the tank with them, i just think the guppies are soo cute. I used to have neon tetra's in my 5 gallon and it looked pretty cool.

Back
Top Bottom