new 10gal 'emergancy' tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tamtam

Aquarium Advice Addict
okay. I got tired of watching my betta be stressed out in the glass jar(its not a lil jar but still... its a jar.) so my b/f being the sweetheart he is baught a new 10 gal tank to move the current accupents of my 2gal tank to so it would free up that tank to give Odin the betta a better home, he was being too stressed from the frequant water changes and the fact that everytime he tried to swim he bumped the glass :( .sooooooo we got him in the new tank and hes doing great hes swimming and eating and seems way happier :D :D :D . And the 10 gal is holding 2 sm bl skirt tetras, 2 of my b/fs glowlight tetras and one female betta given to me as a gift from my dad( unexpected but very sweet cause hes never really been an inthusiest of my pet hobbies, be them many :lol: ) so that was a lil surprise becasue i was wanting, well my b/f was wanting about 2-3 more glowlights for the tank because they are after all schooling fish... but we have 2 probs. the sudden need of the new tank with the extra female betta surprise, and the stressed out male has led us into this problem of not haven enough time to do a fishless cycle, and im not sure of if we have enough room now for the extra glowlights. So point is I was wondering if there was a way we could allow the tank to cycle with the 5 fish in it??? they are all of good health and very active, although ive been reading tetras and bettas are not very hardy fish. I figure they can manage but is there anything else i can do to like releave stress or anything??? I figure there is enough room for the two extra glowlights until our Big tank is set up in about a month and i was wondering if it is smartest to wait till the tank has done its cycling and then purchase the new glowlights or... would they help with the cycling*i dont think so but i may be wrong*. I say wait but if it will help... ill do it. :?: :?: So plzz if someone can give some advice plz do so any and all will be apresiated.

my family has just gotten so into this aquarium thing everyone sorta got carried away and jumped in way to fast and im trying to hold everything and get caught up before someone else has anymore surprises. :?

Congrats on your new fish, and good idea to get the betta out of the jar! :D

Right now, IMO, the tank is fully stocked, as the glolites and the black skirts are medium-sized fish and have a decent impact on the bioload. More fish mean more waste product and more stress, so it won't help things to get more fish at this point.

The other concern I have is keeping a male and a female betta together. In general, they do not get along and are usually placed together at spawning time, and once the male gets the eggs placed in the bubble nest the female is removed. You will need to watch the fish closely for signs of trouble.

As far as cycling you will just have to do your best to keep the toxic levels of ammonia and nitrite down until the cycle is complete. It will take weeks to complete, but it is possible for these fish to tolerate it. Test the water every day, and don't change the filter media, vacuum the gravel, or otherwise disturb things in the tank, other than just changing water.

Good luck!

thank u. seems like im doing it right so far. as o the fish theae still small only the emale is over an inch not including tail. I do not keep the male and feale togethe. She *pretty lady as dad calls here* is in the tank with the other 4. I prolly will try to bredd but not till everthing is settled. lol, inot jumping an further till i have the qt tanks baught. Im not going through this again. :D :D :D thank you.

as for testing i should be testing for nitirite, nitrate and amonia right??? any others?

Right now you need ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, and sometime down the line you may want to keep track of pH and GH/KH, but don't worry about those for now.

awsome!!! Im not as bad as i thought... i think im catching on... haha. Do u have any recommended brand names for test kits???

Aquarium Pharmaceuticals are going to be the ticket for your basics. They have a Master Test Kit that now (*fanfare*) actually has nitrate in it, so that would be a good investment for you.

Back
Top Bottom