new 10gal tank questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jstfinch

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello I finally got a 10gal set up and are using cherry barbs from my brother-in-law. and I'm trying to figure out what else I could add in the tank. It has fake plants for now and a rock formation. I want to add in other fish and live plants. I don't have the right bulbs for plants but can get what ever kind of bulb I need...just don't know what kind and if you have any ideas please post pics of the fish and plants. So if I could get some ideas for other fish species and plant combination would be awesome.

Is the tank cycled?

You can do virtually any plant combinations depending on your lighting and size of your tank. I'm no plant expert o what plants wouldnt outgrow a ten gallon, someone else has to help me out on that one. You could get a T5 fixture (they usually come with the bulbs.) on Aqua Trader. Thy are very cheap and good fixtures.

Click here to check some out
http://www.aquatraders.com/Aquarium-Lighting-s/5.htm

You would want a 20".

no the tank will not be cycled for another two weeks or so. ok thanks for the link I'll check that out. I'm a fish tank newbie and I need all the insight I can get.

If you borrowed fish from your brother in law, it's best for the fish to give them back and do a fishless cycle. It will save the fish from unnecessary stress and harm. Have a look at: The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling

--Adeeb

^^ Agree, fishless cycling is a better way to go both for you and the fish. If you ask for anything from your brother in law, ask him from some gravel or filter media from his tank to help seed yours during your fishless cycle! :D

If you do use fish to cycle your tank get some zebras there cheap and hardy.

When I was a newbie (which I still am in a sense) I jumped the gun and cycled my 12g tank with the help of 3 Cherry Barbs. I did frequent pwc's until my tank cycled and those little guys all survived for over a year. Only when I moved I gave them away, healthy to boot. Zebras as well as Cherries are both hardy fish and would work as your online research would reveal. Although fish-less is the way to go with cycling, IMHO, if u have the Cherries already (as did I), they would work. Just monitor your parameters with one of those test kits (I used API's) and keep up with pwc's.

Oh and after my tank cycled, I added in some cardinal tetra and as center piece fish, a pair of Rams (all of which are sensitive to water conditions so cycling is important).

Note: although all my fish got along well in the community, some hardcore aquarists would not throw in cherry barbs with the fish I mentioned. Only because they aren't Amazon in origin and some like to emulate conditions specific to a biotope (i.e. Amazon, lake malawi, etc.). If this is you, you can consider some harlequin rasboras and add in some more cherries (because they like to be in a shoal of 5 or more).

Others can chime in on suggestions. :)

Oh and after my tank cycled, I added in some cardinal tetra and as center piece fish, a pair of Rams (all of which are sensitive to water conditions so cycling is important).

Note: although all my fish got along well in the community, some hardcore aquarists would not throw in cherry barbs with the fish I mentioned. Only because they aren't Amazon in origin and some like to emulate conditions specific to a secofic biotope (i.e. Amazon, lake malawi, etc.). If this is you, you can consider some harlequin rasboras and add in some more cherries (because they like to be in a shoal of 5 or more).

Others can chime in on suggestions. :)
rams dont belong in a 10

alLexX said:
rams dont belong in a 10

If there's a hiding spot and heavily planted a single Ram will do fine. I have 2 in my 12 gallon and they are doing just fine. They get along with all the other fish. However, it all depends because sometimes the male can harass the female Ram in a confined space if they don't pair up (which is not the case for me). To avoid that, he can just get one if he'd like. Only major problem I see with keeping Rams in a small tank is when they get real aggressive IF they spawn. But it's really hard to spawn Rams and get the right water conditions to even get that to happen, which is usually left to the advanced aquarists.

Anyway, another fish option he can try would be a dwarf gourami.

If there's a hiding spot and heavily planted a single Ram will do fine. I have 2 in my 12 gallon and they are doing just fine. They get along with all the other fish. However, it all depends because sometimes the male can harass the female Ram in a confined space if they don't pair up (which is not the case for me). To avoid that, he can just get one if he'd like. Only major problem I see with keeping Rams in a small tank is when they get real aggressive IF they spawn. But it's really hard to spawn Rams and get the right water conditions to even get that to happen, which is usually left to the advanced aquarists.

Anyway, another fish option he can try would be a dwarf gourami.
they may survive in a ten,but they wont thrive

alLexX said:
they may survive in a ten,but they wont thrive

Well if you want Rams to "thrive" to the point they spawn and if you're a breeder, I can clearly see your point, a 10g would be too small. But if someone just wants to just keep fish, 10g will suffice. I can confidently say that all my fish are "thriving" because they are well fed and the water conditions are all within healthy levels. Google it and you'll see that I'm not an isolated case of bad fish-keeper in terms of me suggesting a single Ram in a 10g.

It is true. Even on popular cichlid forums they state you can keep a pair in a 10G.

Oscarr19 said:
It is true. Even on popular cichlid forums they state you can keep a pair in a 10G.

Thank u sir! But for anyone reading, getting a pair of Rams to thrive in a 10g is not that easy. I would suggest doing research prior if you intend to do so, especially in the selection of the pair at the LFS. I learned how to sex them and to watch for signs of which male and female were swimming together before selecting (often because they pair early on). That's why a single Ram will take the guess work out. Hypothetically, if you accidentally got two males, they might fight each other to death for territory. Not to mention the problem of a male harassing a female if they don't pair up. There are a lot of variables and that's why some will just say take an easy route by saying not to do it. But it can and will work for those who are willing to do their homework.

But sorry to go on this tangent. We don't know what fish he likes. He may hate Rams for all we know... LOL He just wants suggestions. Mine still remain a Ram or Dwarf Gourami as the center piece fish. Throw in either: some Tetras, more Cherries, Cory Cats (I prefer the Pygmy), or Rasboras as schooling fish. Cant go wrong with otocinclus for algae control. But just be mindful of overstocking.

I'd also recommend a few of the smaller shell dwelling cichlid species. Really cool and interesting fish.

Oscarr19 said:
I'd also recommend a few of the smaller shell dwelling cichlid species. Really cool and interesting fish.

^^Agreed. Multis are certainly cool. I never owned them but watching them on youtube is entertaining. Other options, a Krib might work too. Apistogramma Agassizi cichlids are super nice but real expensive and hard to find.

Yea but it really depends what your into. Do a lot of research and you'll soon find a lot of species you can keep. Just keep in mind you don't want to overstock or put a fish in a 10G that really needs a 55G.

Back
Top Bottom