New 29 gallon ideas...maybe planted?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kimlafeiet

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I got a new 29 gallon tank for the holidays, and I think I have decided to try my hand at a freshwater planted tank.
I am a total noob with planted tanks so any input would be most appreciated.
I think I want to do a moderately planted tank with driftwood, angels, or German Blue Rams.

I currently have the tank and heater. What is the best substrate to use for planted tanks? I was thinking either play sand, or eco-complete. Pros and cons to both?

Also need help with lighting. I am thinking low to med light plants, what is the best type of lighting to go with?

and......plants. Waht are the best plants to go with for a new setup?

Anything else I need to know about plants? Fertilizers, etc.......:blink:

I plan to show my build of this tank once I get a final idea of what I am doing.

In my opinyon, sand sucks. I thought it was to dense and heavy and never noticed any new growth from the plants. I switched over to a medium rounded river pebel substrate and I see new growth EVERYWHERE. Also had problems with algae growth on the sand making the tank very ugly looking. It is a personal preference however and hope you have the best of luck. There is lighting designed for plant life. The best bet is to check your local pet store for your options. Again, with your plant selection, I prefer plants that develope a good root system, there are others that need anchored to rocks or driftwood. Some plants do well in low light conditions and others need bright intense lighting. Consider algae growth as well.

Good Luck,
Jerrod938

Personally I would do a commercial substrate like the Eco-complete (which I use in all my tanks) because they have a high CEC (cation exchange capacity) which all them to absorb nutrients from the detris and water and hold them for plant use.

As for lighting I would suggest looking into a 2 bulb T5HO fixture. There are many brands out there in various price ranges. These would allow you to do low to medium light plants.

Depending on the amount of plants you use you will need at least a good liquid fertilizer like Seachems Flourish Comprehensive (there are many brands to choose from) to use once or twice weekly or if you get alot of plants then getting dry ferts is more economical. I also would suggest either using liquid carbon or DIY/Pressurized CO2. These aid in photosynthesis and plant growth.

Plants that are easy to start out with are water sprite, wisteria, ambula, swords, crypts, bacopia, temple plant (Hydro), Vals, dwarf sag, and a few others. Plants for attaching to DW would be anubia, java fern (regular and wendilov), bolbitus, and mosses.

A 29 might be too small for an angelfish once it matures. And GBR's need to be added 4-6 months after a tank is mature. Cory Cats are good for bottom feeders and a nice school of tetras like cardinals, rummynose, or lemons would be good. Harliquen rasboras are also a good choice. For a surface fish you could do marble hatchetfish.

Thanks for the tips, I am excited to get started. Also, filter.....I have an aquaclear 30, and an aqueon quietflow 10 that i keep on my 55 gallon just to keep bacteria in it (to use with hospital tank). I could use both filters on this new 29, or was thinking of upgrading to an aquaclear 50......obviously I would like to use what I have, but want to have adequate filtration.

I'm really not familiar with those filters so hopefully someone else can comment.

Thanks for the tips, I am excited to get started. Also, filter.....I have an aquaclear 30, and an aqueon quietflow 10 that i keep on my 55 gallon just to keep bacteria in it (to use with hospital tank). I could use both filters on this new 29, or was thinking of upgrading to an aquaclear 50......obviously I would like to use what I have, but want to have adequate filtration.

The aquaClear 30 you have will be fine for now, but at some point you'll want to upgrade it to something with a bit more capacity.

Back
Top Bottom