New 29g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is a pretty worthless comment, but that tank is gorgeous! With or without rocks, it's lovely. I would suggest finding some petrified wood if you have any in your area. It adds a very natural look. And adding vinegar to a rock just indicates if your rock will react to acid, so they wouldn't be good for a tank. Pretty much anything sedimentary works. I'm majoring in geology so if you have any questions about rocks I can help. :> Are the wood and plants live?
Compliments to the tank! Can't wait to see some updates!

Morgie said:
This is a pretty worthless comment, but that tank is gorgeous! With or without rocks, it's lovely. I would suggest finding some petrified wood if you have any in your area. It adds a very natural look. And adding vinegar to a rock just indicates if your rock will react to acid, so they wouldn't be good for a tank. Pretty much anything sedimentary works. I'm majoring in geology so if you have any questions about rocks I can help. :> Are the wood and plants live?
Compliments to the tank! Can't wait to see some updates!

Not worthless!! Thanks!
As of right now I have one piece of real wood and one live plant. Definitely more live plants to come.

Will be posting updates maybe tomorrow.
Thanks for the help.

Ps. I might be taking a course on geology just for fun next fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice App

Adding sand.
I have a few fish in... What is the best way to do this and can the fish handle the cloudy water from adding sand?

Added sand, blue background with seaview, rotala, and those are two fake rocks I found on sale at petsmart. I'm running both my aquaclear 50 and 30 trying to clear up the water from adding the sand.

How's it lookin? Found one rock in the creek beside my house. Haven't cleaned it up yet but I'll take a pic when I do.

I'm open for tips!!!! Thanks!

Attachments

• image-3286132941.jpg
    image-3286132941.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 122
It looks as if you have stock lighting on the tank. It will probably not be sufficient to keep the rotala alive long term. It won't hurt to give it a try though.

fort384 said:
It looks as if you have stock lighting on the tank. It will probably not be sufficient to keep the rotala alive long term. It won't hurt to give it a try though.

Good point. I might look for something this weekend. 6700K - 10,000K what looks best?

Anything in that range will work. If you get a dual fixture, it won't hurt to get 1 10000K and 1 6700K bulb. Make sure you have a good understanding of planted tank requirements before upgrading to a kick butt fixture... more light means more algae (potentially), things happen quicker, fertilization can become a requirement, as can injecting CO2. If you are wanting to avoid the extra work of a high tech tank, make sure you stay below the thresh hold where CO2 injection becomes a requirement. If you intend to grow rotala successfully long term, some fertilization will most likely become necessary. You can grow it in medium light though without the need for CO2 injection.

fort384 said:
Anything in that range will work. If you get a dual fixture, it won't hurt to get 1 10000K and 1 6700K bulb. Make sure you have a good understanding of planted tank requirements before upgrading to a kick butt fixture... more light means more algae (potentially), things happen quicker, fertilization can become a requirement, as can injecting CO2. If you are wanting to avoid the extra work of a high tech tank, make sure you stay below the thresh hold where CO2 injection becomes a requirement. If you intend to grow rotala successfully long term, some fertilization will most likely become necessary. You can grow it in medium light though without the need for CO2 injection.

Good plan. Thanks! I don't want to get too into co2 and what not. So the 6700 with 10000 will work then?

yes... but if you go dual T5HO over a 29, you will be close to needing CO2...

A dual t8 fixture might be the way to go if you are wanting to keep it as low tech as possible.

fort384 said:
yes... but if you go dual T5HO over a 29, you will be close to needing CO2...

A dual t8 fixture might be the way to go if you are wanting to keep it as low tech as possible.

Sounds good. Thanks for the help.

The tank is looking good! (y) I really like the plants! I will get live plants in my tank, eh, one of these days. lol

Just a suggestion, I think a few small, black rocks would really break up the light color of the sand and give it more dimension. Adding those, along w/ the rock that you found would definitely look awesome together!

How are you feeling? Better I hope!

McLumpy said:
The tank is looking good! (y) I really like the plants! I will get live plants in my tank, eh, one of these days. lol

Just a suggestion, I think a few small, black rocks would really break up the light color of the sand and give it more dimension. Adding those, along w/ the rock that you found would definitely look awesome together!

How are you feeling? Better I hope!

Thanks, yeah I don't want to get too into keeping plants. The fish are most important to me! :)

Good idea about the darker rocks. Smooth or like cracked slate?
Also is it ok to boil slate? I think it might break apart. Trying to figure how to sterilize it. It came from the creek beside my house.

Feeling almost better! Thanks lol

Thanks, yeah I don't want to get too into keeping plants. The fish are most important to me! :)

Good idea about the darker rocks. Smooth or like cracked slate?
Also is it ok to boil slate? I think it might break apart. Trying to figure how to sterilize it. It came from the creek beside my house.

Feeling almost better! Thanks lol

I think the small, smooth ones would look great! I just purchased some from Petsmart for my 10 gal. They came in a bag of 20 or so.

I have 2 small pieces of marbled slate in my 55 gal. and they came from an established tank, so no prep was needed. I would think that you would be ok w/ just soaking yours in a bucket of hot water in lieu of boiling them. Slate does have a porosity ratio of between 0.4% – 5%, so you definitely want to soak it long enough to get rid of impurities in the pores.

McLumpy said:
I think the small, smooth ones would look great! I just purchased some from Petsmart for my 10 gal. They came in a bag of 20 or so.

I have 2 small pieces of marbled slate in my 55 gal. and they came from an established tank, so no prep was needed. I would think that you would be ok w/ just soaking yours in a bucket of hot water in lieu of boiling them. Slate does have a porosity ratio of between 0.4% – 5%, so you definitely want to soak it long enough to get rid of impurities in the pores.

Sounds like a plan! I may stop by later today. Should I qt those plants or should they be good to go?

Good deal with the slate. Thanks!

I would... To get the snails out. Leave them in the QT for a night and stick a piece of lettuce in the tank. The next day any snails will be muching on the lettuce, and you can just pick it up and throw em away.

+1 to Homedog. That's a cool method! (y)

I just purchased my first batch of live plants today and there was a snail in the bag, (and I'm sure there were plenty more in the plants). I just placed the plants in my tank and dropped the 1 snail in as well. However, I have 2 Clown Loaches... so *slurp*! No more snails! (y)

And here's what a got =)

Went by that fish place that pet place in Lancaster, Pa and got some live plants (I'll post tomorrow with the names), a new 10,000K bulb, various pieces of rocks, cave, and 4 more oto cats.

Have the plants and the otos chillin in the QT 10g underneath.

Whatcha think?

Attachments

• image-558582633.jpg
    image-558582633.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 101
  • image-1445173853.jpg
    image-1445173853.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 103
Back
Top Bottom