Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 03-06-2011, 12:09 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Bruce410's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 211
New 29g

I'm starting my new 29g. Got it from a nice guy down in Maryland and it's already cycled. Going to move some fish in tomorrow from my 10g. They'll get to stretch their fins now!

Here's what I got done tonight.

I might go down to my creek and get some rocks. What should I look for and what should I do before I put them in? I know to not get limestone. What about ironstone? I'm in PA and we have lots of different rocks.

I'll keep posting updated pics as I go.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice App
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1543032910.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	30211  

__________________
Bruce410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:40 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
McLumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Omaha, Nebraska, USA
Posts: 843
Looking good! I think rocks will look really nice in there!

I don't have any experience preparing native rocks for a fish tank. However, I have a piece of petrified wood, (so technically a rock), and it's going in my 10 gallon Betta tank. I've been soaking it in extremely hot water for a couple of days and will scrub it down w/ a sterile toothbrush and do a rinse before putting it in the tank.

I would think that as long as you remove any dirt and debris on the rocks, you would be golden. I could be wrong though so I'm interested to see the advice you get on this subject.

Definitely update w/ new photos/info as your tank progresses!
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
My 55 Gallon Planted Community Tank Thread | 55G Pics
My Low-Tech/Low-Maintenance Build Thread | Freshwater Compatibility Chart
McLumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:44 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
ejaramillo01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: South California
Posts: 2,292
Send a message via MSN to ejaramillo01
Somebody said here that if you add drops of vinegar to the rock and you observe bubbles, the rock is not safe, don't ask me why.

Also I read that a good idea after you deep clean the rock is to "bake" it in your oven, for at least 2 hours at really high temperatures like 400 degrees.

Hope this helps
__________________
=================================
Edgar
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...es-103339.html
ejaramillo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:51 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Bruce410's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLumpy
Looking good! I think rocks will look really nice in there!

I don't have any experience preparing native rocks for a fish tank. However, I have a piece of petrified wood, (so technically a rock), and it's going in my 10 gallon Betta tank. I've been soaking it in extremely hot water for a couple of days and will scrub it down w/ a sterile toothbrush and do a rinse before putting it in the tank.

I would think that as long as you remove any dirt and debris on the rocks, you would be golden. I could be wrong though so I'm interested to see the advice you get on this subject.

Definitely update w/ new photos/info as your tank progresses!
Will do and thanks! I'm excited, first larger tank for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejaramillo01
Somebody said here that if you add drops of vinegar to the rock and you observe bubbles, the rock is not safe, don't ask me why.

Also I read that a good idea after you deep clean the rock is to "bake" it in your oven, for at least 2 hours at really high temperatures like 400 degrees.

Hope this helps
Yeah I've heard of the vinegar test as well. Just wondering how well it washes of if the rock is ok for the tank. But thanks for the tips! Exactly what I'm asking for!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice App
__________________
Bruce410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:42 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
ChelseaLake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Indiana, USA
Posts: 181
Just read an article. Ironstones should be okay, but monitor the iron levels in your tank.

Here's the link: Rocks

I would wash them like crazy and boil them.
__________________
55g Goldfish tank: Mai, Pei, Suu <3 (my babies)
29g Tropical Community
10g cycling
ChelseaLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:47 PM   #6
Dividing by 0
Community Admin
 
fort384's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 13,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce410 View Post

Yeah I've heard of the vinegar test as well. Just wondering how well it washes of if the rock is ok for the tank. But thanks for the tips! Exactly what I'm asking for!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice App
Just rinse after you do the vinegar test. It won't hurt the aquarium at all.

How did you cycle your tank?
fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:57 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Bruce410's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by fort384

Just rinse after you do the vinegar test. It won't hurt the aquarium at all.

How did you cycle your tank?
Thanks.

It was already established and had water in it when I picked it up. I'm adding sand a little more sand later and still don't have fish in it. Been two days, I added waste and water from older tank in to feed bacteria. Fish tomorrow or once new sand settles. That work?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice App
__________________
Bruce410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:59 PM   #8
Dividing by 0
Community Admin
 
fort384's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 13,932
Probably will be fine. The water won't do much, but if you kept the old filter media and kept it wet, it should be fine. The thing is, the bacteria won't last long if there is no source of ammonia... so adding a couple of fish soon would be good. I would stock slowly and test for ammonia/nitrite every day for the first week, just to be sure.
fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:59 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
JOMA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: MARYLAND
Posts: 1,164
i would put a black backround on your tank, it makes it look 100% better (not saying your tank looks terrible, it looks AWESOME!, it was just all tanks look better with a backround)
__________________
Brought to you by Joey's brain.
__________________
Hakuna matata.
JOMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:04 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Bruce410's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by fort384
Probably will be fine. The water won't do much, but if you kept the old filter media and kept it wet, it should be fine. The thing is, the bacteria won't last long if there is no source of ammonia... so adding a couple of fish soon would be good. I would stock slowly and test for ammonia/nitrite every day for the first week, just to be sure.
Sounds good! Yeah I used old media and I put some of the old gravel in a mesh bag and put it in the filter housing.

Should I wait to add fish until the sand settles or can I add sand very slowly with one or two fish in there? Like 2 mollies that I have.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice App
__________________
Bruce410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:04 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Bruce410's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOMA
i would put a black backround on your tank, it makes it look 100% better (not saying your tank looks terrible, it looks AWESOME!, it was just all tanks look better with a backround)
Just put a dark blue background on and used seaview. Looks great. Pics tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice App
__________________
Bruce410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:05 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
JOMA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: MARYLAND
Posts: 1,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce410 View Post
Just put a dark blue background on and used seaview. Looks great. Pics tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice App
okay sounds awesomer loll!
__________________
Brought to you by Joey's brain.
__________________
Hakuna matata.
JOMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 07:46 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Bruce410's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 211
Bad news: I have gotten really sick and unable to do more with the tank. Going to doctor tomorrow.

I'll post with updates once I'm all better. Just letting you guys know what's up.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice App
__________________
Bruce410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:03 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
JOMA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: MARYLAND
Posts: 1,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce410 View Post
Bad news: I have gotten really sick and unable to do more with the tank. Going to doctor tomorrow.

I'll post with updates once I'm all better. Just letting you guys know what's up.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice App
forget about us! get yourself better! hope you feel better!
__________________
Brought to you by Joey's brain.
__________________
Hakuna matata.
JOMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:04 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Bettababe1011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ames, IA
Posts: 5,450
Get better fast!! Hope you get good news of something that will clear up fast.

In loving memory of Pansa Princess, the greatest horse who ever lived. May you rest in peace.
__________________
Fish are friends, not food!
-Dakota
Bettababe1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:14 PM   #16
Planted Tank Addict
 
daileene's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Fiskdale, MA
Posts: 2,561
Send a message via MSN to daileene Send a message via Yahoo to daileene Send a message via Skype™ to daileene
following this thread as well...your tank looks good and all advice are good....

and yes, get well soon....take care!
__________________

5G Planted|10G Planted|10G Planted #2|10G Paludarium #3|20G Long Planted|20G Long Planted#2
"Love is long-suffering and kind. Love is not jealous." (1 Cor. 13:4a)
daileene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:56 PM   #17
member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Alpharetta
Posts: 5,873
I'm starting a 29 gallon this summer... So I'm taking notes!!!
__________________
Homedog98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:54 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
McLumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Omaha, Nebraska, USA
Posts: 843
Ugh! I just got over a really bad cold too. I'm sure we can wait to see the pics... your health comes first! Hope you get to feeling better soon!
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
My 55 Gallon Planted Community Tank Thread | 55G Pics
My Low-Tech/Low-Maintenance Build Thread | Freshwater Compatibility Chart
McLumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:11 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Bruce410's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 211
Thank you everyone. I have the flu and they got me on a bunch of stuff so I can at least get out of bed.

But anyways, I of course went to go look at my tank. I noticed a pretty thick "cloud" of slime around the wood in my tank. I'd say like a 1/4" of it. Any ideas? Or should I put the oto in to clean it up?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice App
__________________
Bruce410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 04:13 PM   #20
member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Alpharetta
Posts: 5,873
If anything do the pleco. Algae or not, they still will get the muck off your wood.
__________________
Homedog98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
29 gallon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What to do with a 29g DragonFish71 Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 5 01-30-2011 04:59 PM
Stocking a 29G HeathB Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 14 05-09-2010 10:25 AM
Stock for 29g? Poetic Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 2 03-30-2009 12:38 PM
29G lighting couch.jeff Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks 3 02-04-2009 08:16 PM
29G bowfront kaboke Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 3 05-27-2007 11:54 PM







» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.