New 36 gallon bowfront build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think the tank looks great too! Reread the thread as well.. that was an epic derail there haha.. I miss my big ozelot sword..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thank you so much! I've been checking out your posts and finding inspiration. Besides the epic derail, I am glad that you were able to read through. I really want this to go well and not make the rookie mistakes I did the first time. So I am reading, researching, and learning as I go. I'm sure I will update soon! Thanks again. :)

Thank you so much! I've been checking out your posts and finding inspiration. Besides the epic derail, I am glad that you were able to read through. I really want this to go well and not make the rookie mistakes I did the first time. So I am reading, researching, and learning as I go. I'm sure I will update soon! Thanks again. :)

Read everything! I've learned so much from this forum it's not even funny. Read my threads to figure out what not to do, read Fresh2o for the right way;)

Read everything! I've learned so much from this forum it's not even funny. Read my threads to figure out what not to do, read Fresh2o for the right way;)

Puhleeze. Half my plants are from other AA members. 99% of what to do came from this site. There's a ton of info on this site about a variety of subjects. Not always a (single) right way to do things because every tank is different and so many variables. Can't wait to see what you end up putting in this tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Well, just when I thought things were going well... I fed my new cherry barbs tonight and noticed that one wasn't frantically chasing the food around. He eventually are so I didn't worry to much about it. Then later as I was randomly staring at them, I saw that he wasn't swimming around like the others. Upon closer inspection he has a white patch above his tail. So after I panicked a moment, I regained my composure and inspected all of the others. They all look fine! I figured I'd go ahead and start treating with Paraguard. Sometimes this hobby can be so discouraging! It seems like there is always something. I tested water tonight and it's 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 5 nitrates.

Well, just when I thought things were going well... I fed my new cherry barbs tonight and noticed that one wasn't frantically chasing the food around. He eventually are so I didn't worry to much about it. Then later as I was randomly staring at them, I saw that he wasn't swimming around like the others. Upon closer inspection he has a white patch above his tail. So after I panicked a moment, I regained my composure and inspected all of the others. They all look fine! I figured I'd go ahead and start treating with Paraguard. Sometimes this hobby can be so discouraging! It seems like there is always something. I tested water tonight and it's 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 5 nitrates.

Maybe an odd M/F ratio causing stress? I have 5 cherrys and for some reason one hides under a rock ledge while the rest school freely. No idea why. Hope all goes well with yours.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Maybe an odd M/F ratio causing stress? I have 5 cherrys and for some reason one hides under a rock ledge while the rest school freely. No idea why. Hope all goes well with yours.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Thank you. I'm really concerned about the discoloration above his tail. I've tried to get a picture but he apparently doesn't like having his picture taken. After what I went through before, I may be a bit paranoid. I hadn't thought about the ratio. It could perhaps be an issue. Although, I've not got a clue if they are male or female. Other than this one issue, the tank still looks great and the other barbs show no signs of anything.

Sometimes I feel like how you feel and feel like giving up but the only reason i haven't given up yet is because i'm trying to continue my uncles legacy of showcase cichlid tanks

We all have those disappointing moments when something goes wrong and we don't know what it is or why. Sometimes we may never know what happened. Either way it's our responsibility to take care of them as rightful owners the best we can.

Some things we just don't understand yet... Like why I've seen on 3 different threads and my own personal experience, 1 lone cherry barb not schooling with the rest.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

We all have those disappointing moments when something goes wrong and we don't know what it is or why. Sometimes we may never know what happened. Either way it's our responsibility to take care of them as rightful owners the best we can.

Some things we just don't understand yet... Like why I've seen on 3 different threads and my own personal experience, 1 lone cherry barb not schooling with the rest.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

True! Thanks for the encouragement :) I'm gonna keep on trucking. Maybe it's nothing. Maybe the Paraguard will knock it out if it is something. Either way, no way I'd give up now!

If I remember right with cherry barbs the females are very dull or look washed out compared to the males. Most of the big box stores only carry males because the females tend not to sell due to the drab color

Question for all of you plant lovers. What would be some good low light plants of varying heights? I love the swords but would love some variation in my tank. I have the Current Satellite + light (not the pro version) so it must stay low light/tech. I really love the live plants but don't have the urge to venture into C02 yet. Maybe one day.

I did just get the stuff to make Mebbid's root tabs so that is exciting! So what say you about other plants that would work for me?

Thanks!

Question for all of you plant lovers. What would be some good low light plants of varying heights? I love the swords but would love some variation in my tank. I have the Current Satellite + light (not the pro version) so it must stay low light/tech. I really love the live plants but don't have the urge to venture into C02 yet. Maybe one day.

I did just get the stuff to make Mebbid's root tabs so that is exciting! So what say you about other plants that would work for me?

Thanks!

Try half log with some java fern on it

Java fern--you can glue it to any of your decorations (dry them completely, use straight superglue with only cyanoacrylate).

Anubius--same as the java fern, or you can put them in the substrate, just make sure the rhizome--the bit that the roots and leaves come out of--is above the substrate level and only the roots buried.

Crypts
Bacopa monnieri (Moneywort)
Bacopa carolina
Anacharis/elodea
Hornwort and Pennywort--floating plants
Aponogeton--most big box stores have them in bulb form. Push them into the substrate and let them go. I usually have about an 80% sprout rate, but once they sprout, they start making bulbs of their own.

Wisteria
Water primrose--I've had so so luck with it, but others have probably have had better luck.
Hygrophila compacta
Java moss
Bamboo plants

That's all that's in my tanks that's not a sword of some sort, and I only do low light with some fertilizing. Anubius is personally my favorite--there are multiple types, so you can get an interesting mix just in that group alone, and for me so far they've been bombproof. Slow growers, but steady. I have a few ludwigia species in one tank, but I'm not certain I have enough light for them to feel completely comfortable recommending them in a low light low tech tank. Give me about 6 months and I'll get back to you on it. :)

Java fern--you can glue it to any of your decorations (dry them completely, use straight superglue with only cyanoacrylate).

Anubius--same as the java fern, or you can put them in the substrate, just make sure the rhizome--the bit that the roots and leaves come out of--is above the substrate level and only the roots buried.

Crypts
Bacopa monnieri (Moneywort)
Bacopa carolina
Anacharis/elodea
Hornwort and Pennywort--floating plants
Aponogeton--most big box stores have them in bulb form. Push them into the substrate and let them go. I usually have about an 80% sprout rate, but once they sprout, they start making bulbs of their own.

Wisteria
Water primrose--I've had so so luck with it, but others have probably have had better luck.
Hygrophila compacta
Java moss
Bamboo plants

That's all that's in my tanks that's not a sword of some sort, and I only do low light with some fertilizing. Anubius is personally my favorite--there are multiple types, so you can get an interesting mix just in that group alone, and for me so far they've been bombproof. Slow growers, but steady. I have a few ludwigia species in one tank, but I'm not certain I have enough light for them to feel completely comfortable recommending them in a low light low tech tank. Give me about 6 months and I'll get back to you on it. :)

Wow! Awesome. Thank you so much ?

I personally don't like Java moss that much. It's nice to attach to rocks but it made a mess out of my tank. I guess the current kept pulling little pieces off because it gets all over the rest of my plants.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

One week of having fish and I've lost one of the Cherry barbs. He started acting funny and had some white marks on him. I've been dosing with Paraguard and doing water changes. I found him dead today. The remaining barbs seem to be doing well though so I'm encouraged by that. I did a water change yesterday. Tested today and got 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and 5 nitrates. Maybe less than that. It's really hard to tell. If I look at the tube from the front it looks yellow. However, looking down at it from the top it's orange. It's been this way the entire time! I thought for sure I'd see more than that but nope. I had crazy high nitrates after my fishless cycle so I'm surprised. I'll take it as low is good from what I read.

I still want to plant some more plants but haven't due to trying to figure out the sick fish scenario!

When do you guys think I could add the next school of fish? My QT is cycled and waiting! I'd leave them in QT for 2 weeks. Would that be to soon to add to the main tank?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425338486.943474.jpg

This is what it looks like this week! Not much growth and I've had to trim a lot of leaves. Melting on the swords that I'm guessing is from acclimation.

Back
Top Bottom