New 40 Gal Goldfish Tank Set up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

j402

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok Guys, Finally I have set up my new 40 gal tank today. I had 15 gal tank and now I have upgraded to 40 gal tank.
I have transfer filter, Gravel and all the ornaments to 40 gal. I had spare filter for 15 gal, so I put new filter media in it and I put that on 40 gal too. So it has 2 Filters rated for 20 gal (from 15 Gal tank). I'll upgrade filters when I save up some money for it.
Any Suggestion for me if any of you guys upgraded your tank and moving fish to that tank? I mean any particular issue arise? I haven't cycled the new 40 gal tank coz I used all the stuff from old tank, is that ok?
And any suggestion for old 15 gal tank? Since I am going to put that in the basement.

If you moved everything over to the new tank, you should not have any cycling problem. Although I would monitor the levels for the next week or so just to be sure.

You really can't over filter a goldfish tank. So 2 filters is just fine. When you get to upgrading, you might want to consider a canister. These are more efficient than the HOB's, even though they cost a bit more.

I also had luck with the BioZyme, but like JSoong said, if you moved all the stuff over and it stayed wet, you should not have a problem with a cycle.
I think you should make the 15G a betta tank! (That is what I say every time lol, I love bettas!)
Good luck!

Question?

Ok New 40 gal tank's temp is around 70F, my question are: Is this ok for my fancy Goldfish? And this might be stupid question but, is it ok if I put my old heater (50W) from my old 15 gal tank into 40 gal and try to maintain temp around 75F?
The reason I'm asking because My Aquarium is close to door and coz of winter, temp might fluctuate. and I dont have 200W Heater.

Suggestion please?

Some fancy goldfish get bowel problems when kept cold. Generally it is better to keep them at 75'ish, but 70 isn't too bad. What they really don't like is temp swing. If it gets down into the mid 60's every night, it would stress them out.

A small heater is better than no heater. The 50W might not be enough to keep the temp up into the high 70's, but it will help decrease the temp swings, esp. if you do setback thermostat at night. No harm in putting it in.

My 40 Gal Tank Update!!!!!!!

Wooohoooo:D:D:D:D
Big Al's had Boxing day Sale. Finally I upgraded my Filteration. I bought 2 Aquaclear 70 HOBs for $20 each:)thumb:) and It came with Filter Media too. So that was crazy sale. Yes!!!!!!!!!!, **** Cheap!!! I bought two of them. Now I am going to run both Aquaclear 70 on my 40 Gal (Currently I have two Aquaclear 20). I guess that would be more than need, but more is always good...

Now it's been almost 2 Months since I upgraded from 15 Gal to 40 Gal. And as you guys know, I moved everything from 15 gal to 40 gal. I've been checking my water quality with API Liquid test kit and it was all good so far. I mean my tank never had to go through cycle again and all my Goldies are Healthy and Happy:D. I have Java Fern Plant and it's growing very slowly which I don't mind, shooting some small plant.

Just wanted to give an update!!! :x-mas:

Back
Top Bottom