new 40 gallon tank questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

speedrider13

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I caved and bought a 40 gal tank from Petco during the $1 a gallon sale, and before I start buying equipment I need answers:
1 my dad says I should get an under gravel filter, what kind will fit the tank(36 x18)
2what supplies will the above mentioned require?
3 i need a hood but can't find one by tetra anywhere
4 why does the internet call it a breeder tank...what makes a tank a breeder tank any how?
5 is there anything else I will need for it(i have 2 air pumps, air stones and airline tubing)

Thanks for any advice, I have done well with my smaller tanks, with little problems but I really want to do this right

1. under gravel filters are out dated. use a large aquaclear hob or sump or canister filter.
2. youll need a heater, filter, lighting, and top if you want. (any decorations are optional and substrate is dependent on what you want to do).
3. you can make one of go topless.
4. the tank demensions make it a breeder, its just what its called.

Take it slow, research until your brain goes numb, do a fishless cycle, and research again! congratulations on your new tank.

Thanks, I am aware of the basics you mentioned heater filter and lighting, lighting I would imagine falls under the hood catagory, substrate is a given, I'm intrigued to hear under gravel filters are outdated so I will research more into that, I need to know wherein can find a hood(with lighting)that will fit this tank. And out of those suggestions, what filtration system is most efficient and reliable?

Under gravel filters just aren't used because for things like growing plants they don't help because they remove nutrients from the substrate.

It's easier with a hob,canister these days, internal filters are good too.

For a top you may comsider making one. Search DIY aquarium top on the internet and you will find plenty of options.

As for lighting if you want inexpensive again you can DIY. Or, you can just buy an expensive light.

As fir a filter, depending in where its located, I'd pick up a canister filter. There is a chinese brand called sunsun that makes one that is decent and on the cheaper side. You can buy these on amazon for around $70. As for a hood, I'd go topless, or just diy a glass one.

For lighting I'd get a fugeray from finnex. This should be great light on your breeder. Go planted plus if you want to plant. You would most likely need co2 injection with that light though.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I believe they're called a breeder tank because they're wider and for their footprint they give a lot of floorspace.

Found online "It's because they are short and wide which makes them better suited to multiple tank setups. You can get more tanks in a space both lengthwise and heighthwise. Originally they were used primarily by stores and professional fish breeders for breeding/housing fish in large rack systems. "

For planted tanks we love them because by being shallow we can get higher light more easily on a shallow tank.

If you want to put a top on this tank, if you have a tap plastics near you they can make you a custom top.

Drs Foster and Smith have glass tops but a center brace is recommended
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...=pla&catargetid=530005150000121375&cadevice=m

This one may be better.
http://www.thatpetplace.com/marineland-perfecto-glass-canopy-36in-18in

Measure carefully.

Or ask your LFS to order one for you
http://www.aqueonproducts.com/products/aga-glass-tops-hinged-glass-tops.htm

Topless tanks are fine for some fish, but if your fish jump, it's dangerous. Also my topless tank evaporates twice as fast as my tank with a hood on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

As Coursair stated above, you can go topless but it will depend on the fish you choose. But just because a fish isn't know to be a jumper doesn't necessarily mean it won't. It could happen from getting spooked by a sudden sound, turning on lights, anything. You can use lighting diffuser (commonly called egg crate) if you don't want glass or plexiglass top but you'll still need to contend with evaporation. Here's a link to it. http://m.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded-...e-Lighting-Panel-5-Pack-LP2448EGG-5/202653781

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

If you go topless floating plants can help fish feel more secure. My favorite is Amazon Frogbit if your tank is quiet enough to grow it.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom