New 40b

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JenLouise

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm about to switch from a 20 gallon to a 40b. Any advice on how to do this? I currently have a AC70 HOB filter (currently on the 20 gallon) that I am going to put on it along with another; probably an AC50. I currently have one oranda and one black moor that will be going in the 40b.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Do you have to take down the 20 to set up the 40?
If so place fish in bucket and just move stuff as quickly as practical.
Get the 40 to proper temp with dechlorinated water ,set the filter in and add fish!.

If you can leave the twenty going then get the 40 filled and to temp(with dechlorinated water) and then move the guys and filter over.

It really should be that easy!

Do you have to take down the 20 to set up the 40?
If so place fish in bucket and just move stuff as quickly as practical.
Get the 40 to proper temp with dechlorinated water ,set the filter in and add fish!.

If you can leave the twenty going then get the 40 filled and to temp(with dechlorinated water) and then move the guys and filter over.

It really should be that easy!

I plan on moving the decor and gravel from the 20 to the 40b. Since I'm going to do that, should I keep the 20 going or do what you suggested-- taking the fish out and quickly moving everything?

I would place fish in bucket so when you pull the gravel and add it the fish won't be in all the stirred up muck?(or atleast safely out of the way of your work!)
Run the filter on the 40 until it clears up and then add the fish.
The fish should be fine in bucket for the time it takes IMO.

I would place fish in bucket so when you pull the gravel and add it the fish won't be in all the stirred up muck?(or atleast safely out of the way of your work!)
Run the filter on the 40 until it clears up and then add the fish.
The fish should be fine in bucket for the time it takes IMO.

Ok, great to know, thanks!I'm assuming place them in a bucket or large enough container with some of the water from their tank (20 gallon tank)?

Ok, great to know, thanks!I'm assuming place them in a bucket or large enough container with some of the water from their tank (20 gallon tank)?

Yes!
Water from their 20 and a clean bucket NEVER used for soap or anything.
A 5g from home depot or wherever will work great.

Yes!
Water from their 20 and a clean bucket NEVER used for soap or anything.
A 5g from home depot or wherever will work great.

Thanks so much, coralbandit! I feel way more confident now about transferring my fish to a new tank. You've been a huge help! Oh, another question.. Will this start a new cycle since it's a new tank? Just want to know what to expect.

It should not cause new cycle.
Possibly a mini cycle which would just be a spike of one nutrient or the other.
IMO with the added water volume you should not have any problems.
Between the filter ,gravel and decos you are moving over a lot of the surfaces the BB live on and in.
Test every other day if possible for first week, feed lightly and don't add new fish till you know the tank is stable.
You'll do fine!(y)

It should not cause new cycle.
Possibly a mini cycle which would just be a spike of one nutrient or the other.
IMO with the added water volume you should not have any problems.
Between the filter ,gravel and decos you are moving over a lot of the surfaces the BB live on and in.
Test every other day if possible for first week, feed lightly and don't add new fish till you know the tank is stable.
You'll do fine!(y)

Ok, good to know. Thank you!

Its important to note that you need to acclimate your fish properly when doing this. The water in the new tank will be different from the water in the original tank. The risk is low, but theres still a chance to cause osmotic shock.

When acclimating, add water every 15 minutes or so to the fish container. I like to do this until I double the water in the container twice, dumping out the excess both times.

Its important to note that you need to acclimate your fish properly when doing this. The water in the new tank will be different from the water in the original tank. The risk is low, but theres still a chance to cause osmotic shock.

When acclimating, add water every 15 minutes or so to the fish container. I like to do this until I double the water in the container twice, dumping out the excess both times.

Thank you so much for this! I didn't even think of this. Makes total sense since I had to acclimate my fish before adding them to my 20 gallon.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Wondering how things went?

Haven't started it yet! I either need to find a stand/table sturdy enough that will support the weight or construct something myself. I'm leaning towards constructing something myself out of cinder blocks, plywood and either 2x4 or 2x6's.

Back
Top Bottom