New 4ft 55g stocking help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shane l

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey every1

Im getting a brand new 55g

I am going 2 move my existing stock into the 55

Inc
1 mono sebae
1 common pleco
10 ref fin glass tetras
3 cardinals will boost to 15
1 sword tail
2 platies will boost to 6
1 ballon mollie will boost to 3
2 gouramis (opaline and golden)
1 dwarf american flag gourami
1 gbr

Thinking of some angels

Any suggestions :):)

I am not sure with that stock you have much more room to add. The common pleco gets huge and has very large bioload

I would check out aqadvisor for a good idea of your stocking level.

If it was me and there was room I'd add a pair of GBRs, Bolivian ram or a couple rainbows

I would not add mono sebae as they are brackish water fish if memory serves me (at least that's how I kept them years ago) and no on a common pleco in that size tank. You can always look into a smaller pleco such as bristlenose, rubberlip, or bulldog.

As for the other stock, it's fine but you would be at your limit. Mollies, platies, and swords are all high bio-load fish. Mollies depending on the type can get quite large and swords can grow up to 5+ inches especially males.

Personally I'd only add one gourami in that size tank to avoid any possible aggression issues that could arise. American Flag Fish you would only want 1 male and 2 or 3 females. They can be quite aggressive and not sure I'd stock them.

In a 55g you could do a pair of Bolivian rams or a pair of GBR's. But if you decide on GBR's I suggest waiting until your tank is 4-6 months old as they do much better in mature tanks.

No room for angels with the above stock. Also flag fish and angels aren't a good mix as the flag fish can be quite nippy which is bad for angels.

Back
Top Bottom