New 55 gal.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mom2reds

Aquarium Advice Addict
A friend of mine from work just gave me his 55 gal. tank with stand and a fluval 305 filter and coralife 4 X 96 watt light. I am wanting to put pool filter sand in it for substrate and then put some plants in it and possibly stock it with Dwarf puffers and some other fish but not sure what. This tank is going in my sons room.
I don't know alot about DP's so any info would be appreciated.

Dwarf puffers are freshwater puffers. Like all puffers, they should really be kept in a species-only tank. They may be cute, but they'll readily shred other fish.

On another note, did you get a pressurized CO2 system with the tank? You'll need it if you intend to use that light.

No unfortunatly no Co2 I was hoping to some how use the lights on my 100 gal. tank but they won't fit I only have 2 X 65 watts on it. I wonder if they could be swiched from one housing to the other. The guy that had this tank had no plants with the great light set up which is sad but I can't complain he gave it all to me for free.
OK well how many DP do you think i could put in a 55 gal. I am not planning on stocking it heavy. I want this tank in my boys room, they are 9 and 5. My 9 y.o. is the one that really wants it, I want to make it fun and educational for him. Do you think a pleco would be ok in there or will the DP shred him too.

Free is hard to pass up.

If you have a lot of plants, you could probably put 5-6 puffers in there with no problems. Try otos over a pleco. DPs don't seem to mind otos.

thanks BigJim. I am now starting to think I may need to do something else any suggestions

Back
Top Bottom