new 55 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tmdavies

Aquarium Advice FINatic
im going from a 13 gal to a 55 and im not sure how much water i should change at a time currently with my 13 im doin 1/3 each water change every other day because my tank is over stocked. so how much should i take out at a time and how often (55 gal) thank you

Test your water daily. Im assuming this tank isn't cycled? If you see signs of ammo or nitrates especially, change out enough water so that your levels of ammo is 0 and nitrates are 10.

Once the tank cycles your bioload and filtration will determine when and how much water is need to be exchanged to keep the nitrates in check. I tend to overstock the majority of my tanks but also over filter them, so in my case weekly water changes of 50-60% keep my nitrates below 20ppm. If your understocked a smaller change might be acceptable. Check your water parameters weekly after your cycle to determine your schedule.

Yep, me too hukit. Two of my three tanks are overstocked, but like you are overfiltered and I also do at least 50% w/c's weekly. Keeps 'em healthy.

Back
Top Bottom