NEW 55 gallon!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

K3150

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I came upon a free 55gallon recently and have yet to touch it since bringing it home. I’ve wanted geo’s for some time and that’s what I’m planning on doing with it. Here’s my vision.

4 geo tapajo red heads
2 zebra angels
15-20 tetras
1 dojo loach

A good mix? Wasn’t planning on angels until I saw some zebra angels at a lfs and am now considering a couple. However this stocking list will likely change in time and as I get constructive feedback. My favorite geo’s are altifrons but of course a 55 wouldn’t work, so planning on the tapajos.

My plan is for the tank to be filtered initially by a large sponge filter and then 1-2 hob filters. I’ve used aquaclear filters in the past but no longer have them. Open to suggestions towards bang for your buck filtration. The sponge filter I will add to my friends sump and in a few weeks time use it to begin cycling the tank. Ideally I would like to do a fish in cycle this way. However perhaps some of the intended fish are too sensitive for this so very much looking for experienced input. I am assuming the dojo loach could be the first occupant and could be the fish that gets the tank going. The only planting/aquascaping I plan on is lots of Java fern tied to driftwood along with some large stones. I want a more dimly lit tank. Last thought is that I would like to see the geo’s successfully breed and perhaps the angels would hamper this. I would assume I could get a pair out of four geo’s.

Thanks in advance guys!

No leaks and it’s been full outside under cover for over a week. I am looking at pool filter sand and black sand. Substrate for me comes down to price and what makes the tank vibrant. Any suggestions are well received.

If you happen to have sand blasting sand distributor near you the costs for specialty sands are reasonable appx. 18 for 50-60 lbs. Our regional company was on 2 different occasions very caring and helpful and took time to share mineral make up and iron contents of the sands and grain sizes, import location.

I happen to like the Garnet sand, some garnet sand is purple, some pink to mauve, or rust, sunset orange color. Usually the rep will know what color. Idaho is purple.

www.unitedwesterndenver dot com UniWest

Here it is in the SW nano tank.
60074-albums14597-picture70861.jpg

Good luck on the quest!

I like the aquaclears, easy to maintain, would be perfect if not for issue that sometimes they drain and lose prime during a power outage. Not good if you are out of town :(

Back
Top Bottom