Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-04-2020, 09:49 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

New 55gal

1st time aquarium owner but experienced with fish somewhat (1000 gal backyard pond)

Was given a 55 gal tank from a family member recently. Today after thorough cleaning we added black eco complete substrate, filter (seachem tidal 75), cobalt accu-therm heater and an LED light. Water treated with Prime then Fritz zyme 7. Only have 2 plants as of today (amazon sword,cardinal). All info and products from a longtime reputable local fishstore owner. Anything else we should be doing besides more plants and decor before adding fish once tank is established?
We also have a friend willing to give us her 2 angel fish to start so being brand new to aquariums any suggestions for srocking to start? Ive researched limited on forums but feeling overwhelmed

TIA!

Old 06-05-2020, 02:02 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Welcome to aquarium advice! It sounds like you're doing everything right so far! From here I would recommend giving the tank a few days to settle and then you can start slowly adding fish to help build the biological filtration needed to breakdown waste. If you plan on adding angelfish, some good tank mates to look into are corydoras catfish, small pleco varieties like bristle nose, dwarf cichlids (apistogramma, German blue rams), and larger bodied tetras (red eye, bleeding heart, lemon, von rio, etc). Angelfish tend to eat what they can fit in their mouth so I would keep that in mind! Otherwise I think you are off to a great start and the forum will be able to help with any speed bumps you hit along the way.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com