New 55gal Hexagon - I need Filter & Fish help Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Freddy n Nigel

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just got a 55gal hexagon from a family friend and i was going to transfer my fish from my 20gal rectangular tank. My current fish are:

- Leopard ctenopoma aka Spotted Climbing Perch
- Iridescent Shark
- Nanus Cory Cat
- Australian Rainbow
- 3X Giant Danios

And I have a few questions...

1)What filters are good with hexagons? Do i need a canister filter or can i use a regular back of the tank kind...?

2)Can i add more fish? I know my 20gal was a bit over crowded, If i can add more what fish are good in Hexagons? I guess i would need fish that like to go up and down or would swim in the middle...

:Fade-color Thank you so very much :Fade-color

Hi there. I'm looking for info too about things to do with my 60 gal hexagon. I have had oscars in there before, and also gouramis and tiger barbs.. I have used the canister filter (when I had the oscars) and I have a hang on the back regular one now.. So I guess (in my limited experience with the regular one) they both work.

Hope that helps!

kee

I of course did NOT have the oscars, gouramis and tiger barbs in all at the same time lol! After my Oscars died after 10 years- I tried to do a different concept- I like the cichlids and will go with that again I think

Last edited:
Don't forget to cycle... moving water doesn't count.

Get whatever filter you're planning to get and put it on your 20gal for a couple of weeks so it's full of beneficial bacteria, then you can move the fish (still testing water for a mini-cycle and doing PWCs as necessary).

Don't worry about adding more fish until the new tank is completely settled and cycled.

Welcome to AA!

After your new tank is set up and completely stable think about adding more cories they do better in groups. Don't add more than one or two fish at a time when you decide it is time to add fish.

I have a hang on the inside tetra whisper filter because I had to put my tank so close to the wall and on a tight budget. It is a pain to clean and want to want to get a canister filter to replace it

Back
Top Bottom