New 55gall

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FuzzyRag

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well, I just got a 55 gallon that I'm in the process of cycling, so I'm building a stock list now, let me know if ya have any suggestions. I currently have 5 rosey barbs and I think a pictus cat. So I'm thinking of adding:

1 blue gourami
5 - 7 more rosey barbs

I'm at a loss after that, maybe some zebra dainos or platys? Any help appreciated!

If it is a pictus cat, I would not go with small fish like zebra danios. They would likely be eaten.
The gourami, barbs, and platies should be fine.
What about a group of cories, loaches, rams and/or a pleco for the bottom?

I've always been a huge fan of angelfish, but in all honesty I don't know enough to be able to say if they would be compatable with what you are going for and the tank settings it would require.

I would love to get some cory cats, would they work with the pictus though? I'm looking for a LFS that carries rams atm too, would love some GBR. I also wondered if any cheap ghost shrimp might survive for a while in that tank setup

FuzzyRag said:
I would love to get some cory cats, would they work with the pictus though? I'm looking for a LFS that carries rams atm too, would love some GBR. I also wondered if any cheap ghost shrimp might survive for a while in that tank setup

Yes, the cories would work. Make sure to get about 4-5 for a 55 gallon. Bolivian Rams are hardier than GBRs if you havent had either, I would stick with bolivians (unless your water is PERFECT, and you still stand a good chance loosing a GBR). Ghost shrimp would survive, but I would get something more functional.... like bamboo shrimp (because they are larger), or even cherry red shrimp (being you dont have any algae eaters). Ghost shrimp die too quick IMO..... if you want small, go w/ cherry, if you want big, go with bamboo. Both filter feeders, only the cherrys eat algae (and your fish shouldnt eat them). Make sure to have plenty of cover, and its np.

RoK said:
I think the ghost shrimp will definitely be sucked up by the pictus.

Didn't see the pictus! My bad! You are right RoK... so would cherry shrimp. If you want shrimp, go with some already decent sized bamboos and you will be fine. They are cool looking too. Your LFS might also call them marble shrimp. They get like 2-3" I believe

Back
Top Bottom