New 72 Gal Bow Front - Total Newbie Seeking Assistance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hersh_007

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone, i'm totally 100% new to the aquarium game and i'm looking for advice. I understand that the larger the tank (to a point) makes it easier to maintain proper levels of PH, Temp, ect. With that in mind I have recently purchased an All Glass 72 Gal BF with 1 built in overflow, a glass canopy and stand.
I am looking to set up a Warm FW Aquarium. I know i'd like to have live plants with the fish eventually but I'm willing to start small to learn the ropes. I am undecided on the type of fish and the type of plant so I want to have a setup that can handle the largest variety of plant/fish combinations as possible. I understand this makes things much more difficult which is why i'm seeking advice from all of you much more knowledgable people, my questions are as follows:

After much research I've decided on a PENGUIN POWER FILTER but I'm hung up on which to buy. The 330 is rated for 55 gal should I get 2 330's or 2 of the 170's?

I've read gravel over 3/4" is not recomended, when using live plants will they live in the gravel or will I need to get something else(substrates if i'm not mistaken?) that they can grow in? Is it true that over 3/4" is bad, even with weekly cleanings?

I got the overflow version in case we wanted to change the tank to a SW setup later on, will having it effect a FW setup in a negative way?

Is a protein skimmer used in a FW setup?

I'm sure I will have more questions as time goes by but for now these are the top priority.

Thanks in advance.

As a born again newbie just a few steps ahead of you I will say READ, READ, READ.

Read about the nitrogen cycle, fish behavior, aquascaping. The more you know now the better off you will be.

My tank is not even set up yet but there are many mistakes I would have made already if it wasn't for the great info available on the web, this site in particular.

I am at work now, :oops: so I don't have all my bookmarks handy, but I will recommend this site here highly, along with the Skeptical Aquarist

http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/

Good luck, and don't rush!

A few quick items.

First, skip the Penguins altogether. For a 72 you really need to move up to the Emperor series, and probably a 400. For a planted tank I think 3/4in is going to be your minimum. I actually have quite a bit more in my larger tanks. The waste from the fish will sink into the gravel and provide fertilizer for the plants. If you don't have enough gravel you'll find planting the plants and making them stay down may be troublesome. I'd suggest a 250 or 300 watt heater.

In a way i aggree with you, ferret. However, though the fish waste will provide excellent nitrogen levels to the plants, you also are still going to have to clean the gravel every month. Not all of it, but if that builds up, ammonia levels can get abnormaly high. not good. lol. But.. you are dead on about the emperor series. they are easy to clean and replace, and filter almost twice as fast as would a lower grade filter. :D

For a tank that size, unless you keep the bioload very light, you're going to be doing water changes and gravel vacing on a weekly basis regardless.

Oh Hersh, on a side note, you also need to read up on plant requirements on light and CO2. Plants like lots of light and those lights that provide that aren't cheap. So maybe you should start with plastic decorative plants, maybe a couple of low-demanding plants like Java Fern, or anacharis, or aponogeton, and then later on, as you become more experienced, you start real plants. This is the way I am going and it seems good. You do not need protein skimmer for FW, it is designed for SW setup. I concur on Emperor 400. I have one, great unit. Go to www.bigalsonline.com to get one for $40. I also recommend 250 - 300W heater, but I would recommend 2 150 heaters even more. I also recommend to have another bioweel unit, like maybe Marineland Biowheel Pro 60 - you can never have too much filtration. Your overflow will have no effect on FW setup - it is a good thing to have, but you are not going to use it now. It is used with a sump (SW)

Back
Top Bottom