New 75g, Need advice selecting proper / best substrate.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

philipraposo198

Aquarium Advice Addict
The tank will be fully aquascaped and will require a lot of substrate. I am unsure on which route I want to take, meaning do I go with eco-complete for simplicity or something similar. Or do I make my own soil based substrate and deal with potential headache. Or Just a super cheap route of doing a plain sand or gravel.. I really need some input

I should mention i am trying to do this without breaking the bank, so cost is a factor.

The tank will not be heavily stocked, and will have a ton of plants.

Any advice is welcome :)

I have used substrate and have personally not been happy with the results for how much it costs. In my personal opinion I would go with a organic soil and cap it with a layer of sand or gravel depending on what look you are going for in the tank. In my 55 gallon I used a miracle grow organic potting soil capped with black sand. I put the plants in immediately while the tank was only half full and let it cycle for 3 weeks before adding any fish. Throughout that 3 week period I went in every 2 days with a log piece of thin dowel and poked the dirt all over the tank allowing air to get to the soil (you'll notice bubbles come up) to prevent harmful bacteria from forming!

I am worried about have to pile it too thick to create the mountain that I wanted.

I am worried about have to pile it too thick to create the mountain that I wanted.

Rather than using the substrate to make the mountain, what about putting a large rock or driftwood chunk and then pouring dirt over it, and cap that with sand? That takes up the extra space, is cheap, and the dirt/sand combo gives you the greatest flexibility for stock since a lot of bottom dwellers need sand.

55GAL DIRTED DISCUS TANK used miracle grow organic potting soil . sifted it through a colander to get out unwanted twigs and debris. 5gallon bucket, 1/4 full of sifted dirt. the gradually added water to a very thick mud pie consistency . squeeze the heck out of it getting out all the air you can get then a inch to 1and a half in layer across the bottom, also a light sprinkling of sphagnum moss across the bottom before adding soil(helps to retain nutrients, then get amaco Mexican red pottery clay( moist form at any micheals or hobby lobby 5 lbs 10 bucks. roll the clay into individual balls and stuff into the dirt once in aquarium about 2inches apart across the bottom of the tank. then take cut out pieces of cardboard as long and thick as you like mold it into the shape and depth you want for each level you want to create. and stuff it into the dirt.( I lined rocks along the outside of the cardboard to hold it in place and to contain the sand after the cardboard is removed) corrugated cardboard works best.( do this in sections so when you remove you do it in a controlled way) cardboard in place no water except moisture from the dirt. add sand( I use silica pool filter sand from pool store nice natural color and much cleaner than gravel. and at 10 bucks for a 50 lb bag cant beat the price. and totally safe. for my 55gal it took 15 lbs. rinse sand half a 5 gallon bucket at a time drain and gradually scoop the sand on top of the soil in the aquarium gently cover the soil with the sand equal amount of sand to dirt (called capping the dirt. when your sure of the levels you want take a plate and a large bowl place it in a location at lowest point place bowl on plate and pour water into bowl slowly(bowl and plate diffuses water flow less agitation. fill to about 3 inches above substrate, add your plants and other décor. when happy!!! remove cardboard gently!!!!!!!!! no rush.
when happy with results slowly fill the tank ( suggest you have all plants you want ready to plant. the more you fuss with a planted tank the less rewarded you will be do research have a plan) Now turn on heat, aeration, filtration, lights. Its Gonne be cloudy and not nice to look at but do a 80 percent water change every other day for a week then 50 percent then 25 percent , then 15 every week( normal maintenance) plants should be doing good,( good sign)now start to cycle your tank. add bottom feeders and depending on tank size some fish you can use as test subjects and to jump start the cycle
.you will see bubbles from substrate, and a clear mucus like substance on driftwood its normal non toxic just the waterlogging process
hope this helps good luck tanks for viewing

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom