new additions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

freshwaterashley

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Went and bought a rainbow shark a pair of mickey mouse platys and a bunch of ghost shrimp for my 25g alreday stocked with 5 dalmation mollies

Is the 25 gallon the permanent home for the shark? 25 gallons is a bit on the small side for an adult; they need about 50 gallons when full grown due to their territorial nature. Keeping them in smaller tanks leads them to attack their tankmates when kept in a community. They also get about 6" full grown, so your ghost shrimp could turn into snacks later... You're fine for now, but just some things to be aware of for later...

My shark is only about 2 and he keeps to himself. My other fist dont seem to care that hes there. I havent seen any aggression from him or the others.

Yep, they start off community-friendly and passive. My shark was a total love until he grew older and hit around the 4" mark. At that point the teenage/adult personality started coming in and he wouldn't tolerate anyone in what he considered his territory, which can be a fair range. Even in my 75 gallon tank I sometimes have to rearrange to reset his territory whenever he gets too bossy.

I agree, the rainbow will probably turn into a jerk, eat all the shrimp, and become a total downer on the tank. But hey, might as well see what happens, maybe it a midget rainbow that is a sweetheart! Haha

My platys.. this is what they look like.. i believe theyare koi. The pet store said mickey mouse but it is obvious that they are not

2010-04-30_092247_1903_platy.jpg

Lost the rainbow shark... replaced it with a male silver sailfin molly for my females, and 2 female guppies for my male

Sorry for your loss, but it's probably for the best in the long run... The molly and guppies are much better choices for that tank :)

Just bought a new pair of guppies :) male is black and blue and the femle is pretty much clear.

Back
Top Bottom