New additions to the family

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

_skyla_

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi all, So my cousin got a really good deal on a second hand 140litre tank yesterday complete with fish and all the equipment. The couple she purchased it from only removed the water and fish when she came to get it, so lucky for her a mature tank set up for the last 7years and no cycling needed (I tested the water after all was set up just to be sure). It's her first tank so she asked me to help her set it up. I brought over aquarium books and DVDs for her and the kids to start learning from.
Well the fish she got with the setup were -2male guppys and 1female ( not the desired male to female ratio I know,but they came with the tank)
- 3 lemon tetras (suggested getting at least 3 more)
- 5 serape tetras (suggested getting a min of 1 more, oh and they have been nipping the poor male guppys)
And 2 fully grown bristlenose plecos and 9 of there little babies (they bred in the tank)
She wants to keep mum and dad and two of the babies at least as I suggested she find the rest good homes.

Well here's were my tank comes into it I took 2 of the bristlenose babies (only about 2cm atm) I know my tank being only a 70litre (22.5g) they will definitely outgrow it eventually. I guess I was wanting some advice on if it would they would be ok untill they do need a larger tank and then Ill upgrade? And how long will it take for them to outgrow the tank? Just so I know how long I've got before I need to upgrade. Oh I should go through what I have in the tank also.
I have 6 neon tetras
2 platys both female
8 cherry shrimp
5 peppered corys
As well as the baby plecos
I know this is overstocked so Im giving my cousin the 5 peppered corys as much as I love them they would be much happier in the larger tankard I get to visit them hehe :)

If I do this is my stocking ok? Untill the plecos need a bigger tank that is there just so tiny atm. And also I really wanted to replace the peppered corys with 5 Pygmy corys if that would be possible? Any advice and knowledge would be muchly appreciated :) thanks in advance

It would be fine to add the Pygmy Cories. Also mine grew pretty fast. He went from really small to 4 inches in 3 months. He grew about an inch a month but he eats A Lot!! Also he was in a large tank and that effects growth rate. You probably have 4-5 months before they get to big. Mine really likes shrimp pellets.

It would be fine to add the Pygmy Cories. Also mine grew pretty fast. He went from really small to 4 inches in 3 months. He grew about an inch a month but he eats A Lot!! Also he was in a large tank and that effects growth rate. You probably have 4-5 months before they get to big. Mine really likes shrimp pellets.

Your Pygmy cories grew to 4 inches?!?!

thanks :) awsome! that gives me enough time to upgrade. Ive heard about fish getting stunted if they are in tanks to small that wont happen to my 2 bn plecos in the 22g will it? ive also heard they do fine in a 20g if its well maintained? oh they wont eat my cherry shrimps will they? im so excited i think pygmy cories are just too cute! i wont be overstocked if i add 5 tho with the 6neons,2 bn plecos, 2 platies and 8 red cherry shrimp( one with eggs)?

so i went on aqadvisor and it said that my stock level was already at 106% now without adding the pygmy cories, so maybe i shouldnt add them.

Im not sure the power of the filter as it came built into the tank, ill have to have a look online and see if i can find out. its a blue planet classic aquarium 70litre if anyone else would like to have a look. Im also unsure of my lighting that came built into the tank so i aonly purchased low lighting plants. this is the description online Blue Planet offers the very best lighting combined with patented pressurized tank-top filtration. - 12V child safe complete aquarium design
- Tank top integrated filtration for easy and convenient maintenance
- Uses 20W T5 Fluorescent Lamp
- Enclosed fully pressurized tank-top filtration system, complete 3 stages filtration with sponge, active carbon and bio-balls inclusive
Aquarium Dim: 58 x 30 x 49 cm (L x D x H)
Capacity: 70L
Input: 220-240Vac 50Hz
Lamp: 1 x T5 20W Fluorescent Lamp Tube
Colors Available: Black

You have plenty of room. I honestly think you could add another school of 6 small tetras. Shrimp and neons have super low Bio loads. If I were you I would add 6 Rummy Nose Tetras.

vanimal said:
You have plenty of room. I honestly think you could add another school of 6 small tetras. Shrimp and neons have super low Bio loads. If I were you I would add 6 Rummy Nose Tetras.

Oh really! I thought it was best to ask you guys other than just going of aqadvisor. I've always liked rummy nose tetras that would be really cool if I could add those.

Back
Top Bottom