New Aquaponics system.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grzx

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, well this is the result of months of work, loads of research and many redesigns along the way. This is a 150 plant, 2.4M 700 litre tropical aquarium aquaponics system. It's fully automated and app controlled so everything can be monitored and controlled anywhere.

Equiped with a 25L pressure filter, 4600L/hr pump and spraybar, UV sanitiser, Redsea Reefwave 45, 2 x Eheim Heaters and Inkbird Temp Controller, 2 x Aquasky lights and battery backup system.

It's currently stocked with 55 Rummy nose Tetra, 2 Rainbow sharks, 1 Red Tail shark and a Fineline pleco.
Plants, Vallisneria, Java fern, Anubius, Blue Stricta, Purple Stricta, Frilly Sword.

Advise Please..

Which variety of Plecos and how many do you think I can safely add to this mix?

Would it be safe to add say 4 or 5 x Siamese algae eaters? Would these be the best additions to help keep the tank clean?

What would be a nice group of about 6-8 fish, up to around 10cm to complement the school of rummy nose? Or would more Rummy nose look better?

Attachments

• IMG_1810.jpg
    IMG_1810.jpg
    266.1 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1879.jpg
    IMG_1879.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1844.jpg
    IMG_1844.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 27
That’s a decent sized aquarium but don’t you think you’ll run into issues with the rainbow sharks and the red tail? They’re both typically aggressively territorial

That issue aside, I have several bristlenose pleco in with my red tail shark and they act like neither one is even in the tank, same with the Cory.

Personally I like the bristlenose as they are a fairly small variety and I prefer to have a few smaller ones going around rather than one huge one!

Yes, I'm learning lots about the sharks. The problem is everyone you ask about the numbers and types of sharks in a tank, they all give different answers. I've been told from 1 to 8 in this size tank, and this is from so called experts in the fish industry.
Tank has been running now for about 8 weeks. The red tail shark has claimed the entire floor of the aquarium as its territory. I'm thinking about rehoming the two rainbow sharks and just having one red tail shark. He doesn't bother the pleco or the Rummy nose tetra's. Or I may try one rainbow with the red tail. I guess every tank is different, so just gotta see what works.
I'll be adding more plants soon, that should help a bit with blocking the line of sight for the red tail.

Yea I know how it goes. I’m in the same boat as you as my 75g is a fairly new setup

Every fish has its own personality and 20 rainbow or rts in one tank might work for some and 1 might be too much for another. It’s just something I was hoping you’re aware of and are willing to deal with

Albeit my tank is pretty juvenile yet, my rts is pretty well behaved. More of an opportunistic chaser than an aggressor. It doesn’t bother the pleco, Cory or danio but the barbs tend to surround him and he will basically just follow them out of his area, he doesn’t ‘chase to catch’ he will merely follow behind them at whatever pace they set till they are out of his turf

Being a close relative I’d imagine the rainbow is quite similar in temperament. They’ll follow something that runs, but not actively pursue it. At the end of the day if the rainbow/rts isn’t actively pursuing another tank mate it really doesn’t pose a lot of risk to it imo. They’re far from being a shark, it’s not going to tear it to bits of it catches it. They’re an carp, algae eater, sucker fish. You just don’t want it harassing it’s tankmates to the point they cannot eat or live a decent life

Back
Top Bottom