Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-08-2021, 02:12 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Question New Aquarium Ideas

I recently acquired a new 25 gallon tank (24 x 12 x 20) and have decided to use it to fulfill a dream of mine- a setup featuring rummy nose tetras. I currently have three established tanks (all planted) and, while not an expert, consider myself fairly experienced. I would like for this to be a planted tank as well and may take a little from my overgrown 170 gallon. Here is a potential stocking...

- 11 rummy nose tetras
- 6 Cory cats of a yet undecided species
- A couple of snails
- A single/pair/small group of some compatible centerpiece species

I haven't settled on the centerpiece species for this community. I've been considering dwarf gourami or rams. Does anyone have any suggestions, similar or otherwise? Also, does anyone have aquascaping ideas that would make these species most comfortable? When aquascaping, my thought is that the comfort of your particular fish species should determine the design above all else.

Thank you!

Old 04-08-2021, 07:01 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Iím not fond of the concept of centerpiece fish as most all fish are happier in groups. Plus one of a kind is not very attractive, imho.

Old 04-08-2021, 08:50 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlederer View Post
I’m not fond of the concept of centerpiece fish as most all fish are happier in groups. Plus one of a kind is not very attractive, imho.
By "centerpiece species" I mean a fish that isn't as fond of living in large groups (a species that would be content in a pair, perhaps) and is at least slightly larger than the rummy nose tetras or occupies a different part of the water column. Most fish are social in some respect (except my betta who hates all living things and many non-living things) but not all want the company of a dense shoal in a small space. I would only be interested in keeping a single individual of a species if it were particularly intolerant of it's own kind.
Old 04-09-2021, 02:11 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

How about Bolivian Ram (Mikrogeophagus altispinosus)?

They're an attractive small (3") and non-aggressive cichlid that's ok alone, in a pair or small group.

Tags
aquarium, ideas, new aquarium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com