New Aquarium Owner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ccross said:
I have an under gravel filter but the actual filtering part is broken. If I were to get that replaced and running, would it help with the left over food that might build up? I generally only feed them once a day as it is.

One other off topic question, I put an Algae Wafer in the tank for the CAE the other day when it was in the tank, and my GF ate it like it was candy. Is that bad? They really seemed to like it.

I don't really know anything about UGF's other than everyone considers them outdated technology and has nothing good to say about them honestly. I think them collecting crap instead cleaning is actually why they're considered bad. Just what I've heard though.

Algae wafers aren't actually algae in most cases. They're basically all my Bolivian Ram eats...so it's perfectly fine for all fish.

ccross said:
Ugh. The idiot at Pet Depot told me this would do all but pH.

I wouldn't call a worker an idiot if you didn't know either...

if you have a feeder's supply near you, they carry the api master test kits

I wouldn't call a worker an idiot if you didn't know either...

They are PAID employee's of a Fish and Pet store. If they tell me something is supposed to do something and I spend my money only to find out that they were wrong, then yes, I can call them idiots. :)

ccross said:
They are PAID employee's of a Fish and Pet store. If they tell me something is supposed to do something and I spend my money only to find out that they were wrong, then yes, I can call them idiots. :)

I agree that they should know more about "pet" products. I wish stores would train their employees better

ccross said:

They may not have been trained well. Some lfs's are bad at training workers. I wouldn't blame it on a worker. I would blame it on the/manager or the store

Idiot is probably pretty harsh but, I think the establishments should put a bit more time educating thier employees.

ccross said:
Idiot is probably pretty harsh but, I think the establishments should put a bit more time educating thier employees.

Agreed. Same with petsmart and petco.

I haven't seen this mentioned yet, so I'll throw it out there. Aquarium salt (or aquarium safe salt) may come in handy once your nitrites spike. I know some fish are very intolerant to salt, so check with the experts about whether or not gold fish can handle salt before dosing.

Anyway, I wrote up an explanation on another thread a long time ago. It is here: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/using-aquarium-salt-in-freshwater-tanks-128290-3.html

If you don't feel like reading all that the basics are:

• Nitrites in gills blocks absorption of oxygen therefore suffocating fish.
  • Chloride (which is in salt) blocks absorption of nitrites into fish.
  • So, chloride prevents suffocation of fish when nitrites are present.
In my original post I linked to a white paper discussing the science behind this. So, I would suggest dose with aquarium safe salt as an extra precaution (assuming the salt itself won't kill the gold fish).

TCool said:
I haven't seen this mentioned yet, so I'll throw it out there. Aquarium salt (or aquarium safe salt) may come in handy once your nitrites spike. I know some fish are very intolerant to salt, so check with the experts about whether or not gold fish can handle salt before dosing.

Anyway, I wrote up an explanation on another thread a long time ago. It is here: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/using-aquarium-salt-in-freshwater-tanks-128290-3.html

If you don't feel like reading all that the basics are:

[*]Nitrites in gills blocks absorption of oxygen therefore suffocating fish.
[*]Chloride (which is in salt) blocks absorption of nitrites into fish.
[*]So, chloride prevents suffocation of fish when nitrites are present.

In my original post I linked to a white paper discussing the science behind this. So, I would suggest dose with aquarium safe salt as an extra precaution (assuming the salt itself won't kill the gold fish).

A simple method to know if some fish are ok with salt is if they don't have scales, usually they can't be in salt... but this is only most species. There are a lot of exceptions.

Just for the record, ill throw this out there. i agree some stores in the chain stores have pretty terrible conditions. but there are some that are better then others. dont beat down on the whole chain, and please dont even beat down om individual chain stores. just saying.

I learned the hard way too, with goldfish. I upgraded my tank and equipment three times in the space of six months to keep my goldfish happy, but they still died after a year.

I think it's unfortunate that there's a preconception that goldfish are a beginner's fish. I can imagine a lot of them died a horrible death because people thought they can live in small fish bowls, then finding out they have a huge bioload and either couldn't afford the time, money or effort getting a bigger tank for them.

I learned the hard way too, with goldfish. I upgraded my tank and equipment three times in the space of six months to keep my goldfish happy, but they still died after a year.

I think it's unfortunate that there's a preconception that goldfish are a beginner's fish. I can imagine a lot of them died a horrible death because people thought they can live in small fish bowls, then finding out they have a huge bioload and either couldn't afford the time, money or effort getting a bigger tank for them.

I wouldn't be keeping the GF but, my 4 year old and 2 year old daughters love them. I'd rather build a nice Cichlid tank :)

you could probably put in 2 cichlids in your 20 gallon once you upgrade the gf. kirbensis and rams are a few options. its my dream to breed kribs! they sound like fun parents! lol. if u have more time and money once you get a job, you could set up a cichlid tank! have u considered talking to your daughters about different fish? u could try. what have u got to lose? at the most you will just be working wwith the goldfish. but maybe if they agree they might like cichlids instead! or u can get rid of two goldfish and keep their favorite in the 20 gallon and set up a bigger cichlid tank. idk! just some options! good lcuk!

ccross said:
I wouldn't be keeping the GF but, my 4 year old and 2 year old daughters love them. I'd rather build a nice Cichlid tank :)

And thus MTS ( multiple tank syndrome) begins :)

i swim said:
lol! ikr! they are irresistible!

Tell me... I have 7 and my dad bought me a stand today for 4 bucks and I was like guess I'll have to get another one!!! Hashahahah

And thus MTS ( multiple tank syndrome) begins :)

I have the 20G tank with the goldies and yesterday I set up a 10G tank that I am in the process of cycling. My wife has agreed to let me get a bigger tank if I sell off some of my "crap" as she calls it, lol.

ccross said:
I have the 20G tank with the goldies and yesterday I set up a 10G tank that I am in the process of cycling. My wife has agreed to let me get a bigger tank if I sell off some of my "crap" as she calls it, lol.

Hahaha awesome! 55g is the way to go :))

Back
Top Bottom