New Beta Tank Yay!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cdepriest6009

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well I just bought a new 10 gal tank that I am going to be putting my wife's Beta in. Right now the little Gal is in a small 1 gal tank (we got her and it before I found this sight and learned so much over the past few months). It took me a while and some showing her some threads on here to convince her that we needed to get the fish a bigger home but I finally did. I'm so excited I just love this hobby so much and I'm excited cause I get to be the one to take care of it lol. We just bought the tank last night so it really hasn't had much time to start it's cycle but I did add some decor and some of the rocks from her current tank to help get things started and moving along faster. I just can't wait to put the little Beta in her new home she is such a wonderful fish and she watched me the whole time I was setting it up last night lol. I think she already knows it's for her. I just thought I would let all of you know since I'm so excited and all and see if there is any pointers you guys might wanna give me to help out the N cycle so I can get our little friend out of that tiny tank.

Congrats! I think you've just had your first case of mfs! Lol. Are you planning to put anything else in the tank? And you can feed the tank fish food. It'll increase the ammonia which will feed the ammonia eating bacteria.

Congrats
I the forum called freshwater getting started there is a thread called "fishless cycle for dummies" please read this one and you will learn there the Nitrogen cycle.

Once you read it, you will have more questions! ( lol ), but will be more specific questions, and also will give you a really good idea in how to start your fishless cycle to prepare your tank for your betta.

Don't worry I already know about the N cycle and about the fishless cycle I also have a 20 gal of my own that I have several fish in lol it's just the betas I don't know a lot about them. I have read on here about them and that's how I learned about the bigger tank for them.

Homedog98 said:
Congrats! I think you've just had your first case of mfs! Lol. Are you planning to put anything else in the tank? And you can feed the tank fish food. It'll increase the ammonia which will feed the ammonia eating bacteria.

Thanks. First what's mfs lol I feel like an idiot for asking but I just don't know lol. And yes I have been feeding the tank fish food along with what I have already done lol. Is there anything else we could put in the tank with her? I didn't know that you could put anything else in there. I know about community beta tanks but not mixing them with other breeds.

I think he means MTS as in Multiple Tank Syndrome. It's very addicting. I started with a 3g many years ago. Now I'm trying to distract myself with upgrading stuff in my current tanks so I don't set up any of the empty aquariums I have. I'm sure those will inevitably get filled eventually.

BigJim said:
I think he means MTS as in Multiple Tank Syndrome. It's very addicting. I started with a 3g many years ago. Now I'm trying to distract myself with upgrading stuff in my current tanks so I don't set up any of the empty aquariums I have. I'm sure those will inevitably get filled eventually.

Lol ok well I think I may have it lol I found another 20g at the store that is currently on sale and I keep trying to talk myself out of it but at the same time talk myself into it. I know we don't have any place to put it and that's what my wife keeps telling me along with "we need to save for the baby that's on the way" lol so I come back with "well the baby ain't due til the end of August and they also have a 29g with a stand on sell also" lol I keep trying but its not working like it used to lol.

Boy, do I feel ya....lol. I don't even have my 30 gallon set up yet, and I'm already looking for another tank. Found the perfect spot in the house for it! lol

Lol, we have a Betta in a ten gallon with filter and heater. Allie is his name, short for Alejandro. He was named after a Lady GaGa song, lucky him. He is the funniest little fish.

I also need to figure out how to break it to my mom that I have caught a disease. An incurable disease. It goes by one name alone. Multiple Tank Syndrome.

In other words, I want to get my first community tank setup.

MTS is pandemic here at AA. Unlike that other AA, we encourage our addictions.

When my wife and I were house hunting, we made sure we would have room for aquariums. It was probably a top 10 or top 15 requirement. Now that she's getting into it, I think it would probably rate higher.

Cdepriest, I missed your question about bettas and other fish earlier. I successfully keep bettas in community tanks. They're more interesting with companions to interact with. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/betta-companions-141236.html This thread might be of interest.

Alejandro....lol.....my girls love that song. They got a new hamster yesterday...maybe I should suggest that name to them? They would LOVE it....they like singing to the hamsters....that would be perfect. :)

Bettababe
It is a very bad lol when we got petsmart to get stuff for our bird or dog I always some how end up over by the tanks lol just thinking of places that I could put it in our apartment.

Big Jim
Yea we are in an apartment til Nov. And then we are going to get a house and someday we are goin to build a house that I am drawing the plans myself and I'm already finding places were I can build a tank or two or three into the house itself cause I think that would be so awesome I think.

Betababe
Forgot to tell you that we plan taking my current tank and turning it into a beta community tank when I get a new bigger one. And my wife named her's jewel cause she is blue and when the light hits her just right she shines just like a jewel does.

Lol. I just got into Aquariums. This will be my first community tank. I'm getting a twenty gallon. Probably getting at least some zebra danios and some others that will go good with them. I know a twenty is kinda small, so I have to be careful with stocking.

Well, I meant compared to what some other people have, a twenty is small. But it's perfect for me until I get the hang of fishkeeping and know what the heck I'm doing! Wish me luck in my first real fish tank! I say first real, because my Betta is the only one in his tank. I guess I should just say my first community tank.

Well it's what I have to start with and I hope to get a bigger tank with my taxes.

Betababe
How long have you had your beta and how big is he now?

I have had Allie for about three weeks. He is probably about two inches from nose to tailtip. Give or take a quarter inch.

Back
Top Bottom