New Betta Tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vanimal

Aquarium Advice Addict
So my LFS was giving away free Bettas and a tank to the first 100 people at their Re-Opening. I got there an hour early so I got one! They also gave everyone a free $10 coupon so I bought some plants too. It is about one gallon and I plan on feeding him freeze dried blood worms, betta flakes, and hikari micro pellets. Is that enough? And I will be doing a 100% water change ever week.

I'd supplement some fresh veggies in there too and probably not do the 100% change once a week and do 2-3 50-70% changes week. I think this will help maintain better quality in that that 1 gallon better and help you avoid shocking and stressing your fish with the full on water change. Of course this only applies once the tank is cycled. Are you planning to upgrade him? It's a shame they don't offer a bigger tank for free. :p

Our local store has this betta and a live plant deal for 10 bucks(betta are about 6-7 here and then a live plant is 5) so it's a bit of a deal.. sadly people don't get their plant probably isn't going to survive.

I hate to be a downer but bettas require 5 gallon tanks or more. 1 gallon is insufficient for them. For feeding, bettas are carnivores and require high-protein diets. Hikari betta pellets, freeze-dried and frozen bloodworms, frozen brine shrimp, and flakes would be a good diet. The more variety the better. Doing 100% water changes will kill all your BB. In a 1 gallon tank, you'd need to do 2-3 50% PWCs a week, as tamtam mentioned. Are you doing a fish-in cycle with the betta?

So my LFS was giving away free Bettas and a tank to the first 100 people at their Re-Opening. I got there an hour early so I got one! They also gave everyone a free $10 coupon so I bought some plants too. It is about one gallon and I plan on feeding him freeze dried blood worms, betta flakes, and hikari micro pellets. Is that enough? And I will be doing a 100% water change ever week.

That sounds good. And yes 2-3 50% water changes a week with a one gal tank. If you can in the near future I would upgrade his tank to at least 2 gal or bigger. Even in a 1 gal he is better off then he is in the store but something bigger would be best for him if you could ever do that. Mine are always kept in 2 gal heated tanks just fine I have never had any health problems or anything. If you can't go any bigger then that.

Do you have a picture? Would love to see the little guy. :)

tamtam said:
I'd supplement some fresh veggies in there too and probably not do the 100% change once a week and do 2-3 50-70% changes week. I think this will help maintain better quality in that that 1 gallon better and help you avoid shocking and stressing your fish with the full on water change. Of course this only applies once the tank is cycled. Are you planning to upgrade him? It's a shame they don't offer a bigger tank for free. :p

Our local store has this betta and a live plant deal for 10 bucks(betta are about 6-7 here and then a live plant is 5) so it's a bit of a deal.. sadly people don't get their plant probably isn't going to survive.

Ok sounds good. Yeah fish in. So bacteria will just grow in my decor and stuff right?

Ok sounds good. Yeah fish in. So bacteria will just grow in my decor and stuff right?

oh, hmm :ermm: I thought this was a filtered 1 gal tank. Like one of this little kits.. Then no you probably won't be able to maintain a strong enough cycle on just BB on your decor. If there is no filter you will certainly need more water changes to keep levels in check. 1 gallon of water is not very forgiving with toxins. I would upgrade to something, anything with a filter as soon as you can. IT will make your life and your bettas so much easier.

tamtam said:
oh, hmm :ermm: I thought this was a filtered 1 gal tank. Like one of this little kits.. Then no you probably won't be able to maintain a strong enough cycle on just BB on your decor. If there is no filter you will certainly need more water changes to keep levels in check. 1 gallon of water is not very forgiving with toxins. I would upgrade to something, anything with a filter as soon as you can. IT will make your life and your bettas so much easier.

Yeah I plan on buying a small filter.

+1 to this. Like any other fish, bettas require filtered and heated water. Without a filter in this small a tank, water changes every 2-3 days will be necessary.

Can you upgrade to a mini bow? I have a couple of mini bow 2.5 gallons for my bettas (although I'm upgrading soon) and with those tanks you can add an Azoo Palm Filter. I highly recommend azoo palm filters they keep my water crystal clear and are very gentle they can't even push a betta down. It would be a perfect tank for your betta until you can upgrade even larger.

Ik its small but he seems happy for now and at least I got him out of that little bowl. I will buy a filter soon.

image-709017304.jpg

image-3649635274.jpg

What are the dimensions of the tank it looks bigger than 1 gallon I think. I'm heading in there tomorrow to try and get one myself and I can't wait to enter that drawing for the 1000 dollar tank setup.

Also the planted aquarium isn't too far away from you if that's your LFS and they sell little clip on lights and small filters for little tanks like this.

BlaseMrNiceguy said:
What are the dimensions of the tank it looks bigger than 1 gallon I think. I'm heading in there tomorrow to try and get one myself and I can't wait to enter that drawing for the 1000 dollar tank setup.

Same! But I have enough tanks All Fish Emporium is awesome!

Its about 5 wide 8.5 tall and a little over 8 inches long. How many gallons do you guys think that is?

Yea I think it sounds about 2 and a half g. Great looking betta! My Lfs gives me a big discount on decor, wood and stuff. Also on fish lol! Good find.

Back
Top Bottom