New Bettas!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pawtrekker

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I went to my LFS and spent way more than I intended on two new Bettas, a tank divider and a small bottle of Bettafix.

Here they are!

I managed to find this gorgeous blue and white double tail.

image-2154726103.jpg

And a Dragonscale Plakat!!

image-4104485646.jpg

The tank divider was a PAIN to put in but one I got it in there it seemed nice and sturdy. And it's tall e ought where I won't worry about them jumping. :)
The Plakat is going in my 10 gallon with Bruce, my other Betta. The double tail is going in his own 5gal tank.

image-717114553.jpg

They are getting used to their new tanks now! Luckily, they both seem to be in pretty good health aside from maybe some minor fin rot. I'll update as their colors come in!

image-4242327285.jpg

image-54822309.jpg

image-42320722.jpg

image-2266059810.jpg

I looked for some Java Moss and Frogbit but my LFS was out! And I could not afford to pay $20 on two stupid Moss Balls. I really wanted them but I pretty much maxed out my budget on the fish and divider... Anyone know where I can get some moss balls cheap?

I don't really have an answer for your question, unfortunately, but just wanted to say that white and blue double tail is beautiful! Great find! :)

There are moss balls on the shrimp farm for like seven dollars...and I like the color of the dragonscale one...which actually looks sort of like a female betta

I didn't think he was a dragon scale when. I bought him (even though he was labeled as such) but after getting him home I took a better look and he does sort of look like a Dragonscale. We'll see what he looks like when he settles down a bit. All my LFS Plakats were marked as Dragonscale but not all of them were actual Dragonscale Bettas. I love his color too. I don't think he is a female but we'll see. :) I think I am going to put a lot of silk plants of his side of the tank and make a more "wild" look to it.

Quick question, does anyone know why my Plakat has such big lips and mouth? Is just a Plakat trait or is he just an older fish or what?

Nice fish! The plakat doesn't look very dragon scaled to me, though. I've seen plakats sold as dragon scaled when they weren't as well. Either way it's a pretty fish.

Alright, just gave them both their first meal and they are eating well. Gave each of my Bettas a pellet and a small bloodworm. They seem to be doing well. I'm really surprised at how well my two divided Bettas are doing. There has been a little fin flaring but that's to be expected. So far, no major aggression. Bruce is kinda giving him the evil eye and poofs his gills a bit which kinda surprises me. I have NEVER been able to get him to flare at anything, even his own reflection. Except the one time he flared at my iPad while I was taking his picture. Lol!

I'm not sure about the whole Dragonscale thing, you can't see in from the sides but his face really does show the Dragonscale. it's a bit hard to see because he's such a dark color. I imagine that's not really a true Dragonscale BUT I did find out he is a snakeskin! He's got little spots all over his fins. I'll try to get better pics later.

image-2005666880.jpg

image-160913453.jpg

This is Bruce checking out his new tankmate.

image-2894108032.jpg

I plan to put more plants between them soon.

image-2189576000.jpg

My double tail is still freaked out by my filter a bit but I'm sure he'll get over it soon. Lot's of glass surfing right now. Maybe I'll eventually put some more plants in there too.

Still trying to figure out some names. Any suggestions? ;)

Attachments

• image-1326739348.jpg
    image-1326739348.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 88
The doubletail looks like a "Phantom" to me... I hope to find such a pretty betta when I get my tank set up and cycled. (y)

I was lucky to find him. I wasn't really looking for a doubletail either but when I saw him I had to take him home. Actually, I forgot to mention he's got a little white right in his eyes which, I believe, is a recessive gene (I'm not a breeder though but I believe I read that somewhere). That would mean both parents had to have that trait as well. Pretty cool really. :)

I don't think the Plakat is a DS He is just metalic!! His body shape suggests male but that's not always a reliable sign, the only real way to know is if you can find their ovaries which is quite hard to do in a betta that color...

as far as names these are my ideas

DT; blueberry, peter, lucas, micah, colt, corbin, kolten, courtland, kyle
PK: silvester, sean, manny, tyson, jace, maddux, metalica, mace, doug

EDIT: both my PKs have huge mouths like that, I think it maybe a genetic thing...

I don't think the Plakat is a DS He is just metalic!! His body shape suggests male but that's not always a reliable sign, the only real way to know is if you can find their ovaries which is quite hard to do in a betta that color...

as far as names these are my ideas

DT; blueberry, peter, lucas, micah, colt, corbin, kolten, courtland, kyle
PK: silvester, sean, manny, tyson, jace, maddux, metalica, mace, doug

EDIT: both my PKs have huge mouths like that, I think it maybe a genetic thing...

Okay, thanks! I thought he looked metallic but I wasn't sure. I was a little worried when I bought the PK because I thought there might have been something wrong with his mouth. Thanks for clearing that up.

As for names, I think I want something more mystical. More of a fantasy or perhaps Greek sounding name.

Okay, that PK is defiantly a male. Unless females flare their gills too but I think it's just males that do that.

have you decide on names yet?

Still trying to decide. I have a few names I like but I'm trying to decide which ones Are most fitting. I have

Aquadonis (Greek for water lord)
Maleko
(DT) Eidolon (Greek for phantom or apparition)
(PK) Chromeus

What do you think? I think I really like Chromeus for the PK. Not sure about the other guy though.

Still trying to decide. I have a few names I like but I'm trying to decide which ones Are most fitting. I have

Maleko
(PK) Chromeus

What do you think? I think I really like Chromeus for the PK. Not sure about the other guy though.

Chromeus sounds perfect for the PK!!

As for names, I think I want something more mystical. More of a fantasy or perhaps Greek sounding name.

What about Poseidon for the DT? "God of the Sea" (or tank in this case). haha I don't think there could be a better fitting name :)

Maleko
(PK) Chromeus

I vote Eidolon for the DT... totally a phantom to me. :D

I hope that you will help me find a name for my betta as soon as I can work my magic and convince my hubby to get me a tank earlier than my November birthday... :whistle: :angel:

I vote Eidolon for the DT... totally a phantom to me. :D

I hope that you will help me find a name for my betta as soon as I can work my magic and convince my hubby to get me a tank earlier than my November birthday... :whistle: :angel:

Hope you get you tank! :)

So, my PK is Chromeus and my DT is Eidolon. I like Poseidon but my DT likes to hide behind the filter and "disappear" a lot so I think Eidolon suits him.

Also, my other Betta, Bruce, had his fins torn up when I first got him (long story) and since I've never been able to get him to flare at anything before his fins never got any exercise. Now that he's exercising his fins, they look so much better!

Back
Top Bottom