New Bigger tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marnie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Please help if at all possible. My question is this. I got a bigger aquarium new gravel and everything one needs for a new set up. I set it up and I also read that to speed up the cycle process you should take some of the gravel from the old tank and add it to the new tank so you can introduce some of the established bacteria into the new tank. I have done so. I have an under gravel filter as well as a filter that sits on the side of the aquarium that holds two carbon filters in it. In the under gravel filter I have two big power pumps the aquarium is 29 gal. I introduced my barbs when the water temp was adequate (about 2 days after I set the new aquarium up) I checked the ammonia content every day for 8 days and it was 0 always, so I figured I would take a chance and introduce my other more sensitive fish, so I took about 6 gallons of water out of the new aquarium and replaced it with water from the old aquarium I also added a lot more gravel from the old aquarium. Now my question is since I did not detect any ammonia in those 8 days and I should have if the tank was not yet established and also by adding a lot of the water from the old aquarium taking all these precautions should my fish be ok? I have a stick fish (looks like a stick in the water) a clown loach and a Guarami.
Thank you so much for your help, Marnie.

You may have added enough bacteria to establish the tank well enough to handle the barbs. That is a great way to do it if you can. I would keep a careful eye on ammonia and nitrite for a while though. Especially when adding more fish to the system. One thing you might want to try is running the undergravel filter reverse where the water is pumped down the tube and up through the gravel. That will keep detritus lifted off the gravel bed and will make maintenance easier.
Logan J

(y) I agree with loganj. Just keep an eye out on the levels.

you can always drop a fish back in the old tank if levels get to bad.

For a 29G tank, you should be fine. I have a 29G tank and cycling it was cake, if the barbs handled it okay without any probs, then I think your job on the tank is great :D - Whenever I redid the tank my biggest fear was illnes, algae (evil kind). The bacteria intro was never a prob, and seeing the way you've done it, you are golden. :fadein:

Oh yeah, don't worry if you see a sudden spike when this all happens (intro of more fish), keeping an eye out for the levels is definately a must, but don't fret if levels shoot at first, your introducing newer and more fish may increase levels for a lil' bit, but as time goes on it'll be back to normal :wink:

how do you run the under graver filter system in reverse?... can you do that with power heads?

PS. thank you very much for all your replys. It really helped to put me at ease.. i will not add any more fish for a couple of months then i will probably just add an angel ( the barbs seem to leave the other fish alone so i think i will be ok, i read they are fin nippers but these guys don't bother anyone yet.. LOL) once again thank you all so much

Another quick question... how offten should i do water changes and should i keep replacing the water with the water in the old tank?.. i replaced the water i took out of the old tank with fresh water and all the filters are still running in that tank .. but no fish in it ..

Back
Top Bottom