New coffee table aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
tamtam said:
Platies would probably be really nice too and are a great beginner fish.

I'm new too and have Platys. They are so delicate looking and school nicely. Plus they come in tons of colors. And most important for me is that they are hardy fish. However, they are poop machines!!! I've have been advised to get familiar with the hobby and then get a school of Otos to clean up the bottom. But I only have a 15g so something bigger may work for your table tank (which is awesome!!) I really need some more poop patrol because my shrimp aren't doing it!

kdklovesfish said:
I'm new too and have Platys. They are so delicate looking and school nicely. Plus they come in tons of colors. And most important for me is that they are hardy fish. However, they are poop machines!!! I've have been advised to get familiar with the hobby and then get a school of Otos to clean up the bottom. But I only have a 15g so something bigger may work for your table tank (which is awesome!!) I really need some more poop patrol because my shrimp aren't doing it!

Sorry to tell you but shrimp don't eat poo and neither do ottos :(. I have both for algae control. You can't really take any short cuts when it comes to tank maintenance. I know they may take a nibble at it every now and then but that's not what their diet is supposed to consist of. There are however fish that can eat poop, but not usually in an aquarium. Catfish can eat decaying matter and I just found out that tilapia is used to eat poop in fish farms, but we don't own fish farms and we shouldn't have decaying meats in our tank.

Back
Top Bottom