New concept.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lol, I saw that two days ago.
I have my doubts

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I think it's based on a flawed assumption... Zero nitrates does not mean that there's no need for water changes. There are crucial trace minerals and nutrients that can only be replaced by water changes. Also, the bowl design means that gas exchange is lower than in an equivalent volume rectangular tank, so you can't stock it as heavily. Throw in the total gallons, and it's best used for either a single betta, a shrimp colony, or an understocked nano tank (annual killies, chili rasboras, or some other similar sized fish).

I can't get around the bowl shape.. heh...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Cat owners seem to have made peace with the fact that they will periodically need to remove the cat poop and replace the kitty litter... And that seems like a way worse chore than water changes.
Why is there always some rogue fish keeper out there that thinks they can outwit Mother Nature.

At the very least somebody should tackle the cat poop issue before we worry about eliminating the difficult task of changing out the water in a tiny fishbowl.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Cat owners seem to have made peace with the fact that they will periodically need to remove the cat poop and replace the kitty litter... And that seems like a way worse chore than water changes.
Why is there always some rogue fish keeper out there that thinks they can outwit Mother Nature.

At the very least somebody should tackle the cat poop issue before we worry about eliminating the difficult task of changing out the water in a tiny fishbowl.

Actually, the cat poop issue has been tackled already...
CatGenie - The World's Only Self-Flushing, Self Washing Cat Box

I'd be very tempted to try it if it weren't for the fact I have zero space for one in my bathroom or laundry room ;)

Well, as I watched the video, I was thinking " Ok, this could work if........." but then it totally lost me when she said all you need to do is replace the water that evaporated. We all know that's a recipe for disaster down the road. There is no accommodations for vitamin & mineral replacement unless the fish being kept in the bowl are plant eaters. PLUS, there is a very limited amount of types of fish that will do okay in that sized tank.
It looks like she has the right idea on a number of levels but from what I know, I think she is just delaying the inevitable crash. That's my opinion ;)

Well, as I watched the video, I was thinking " Ok, this could work if........." but then it totally lost me when she said all you need to do is replace the water that evaporated. We all know that's a recipe for disaster down the road. There is no accommodations for vitamin & mineral replacement unless the fish being kept in the bowl are plant eaters. PLUS, there is a very limited amount of types of fish that will do okay in that sized tank.
It looks like she has the right idea on a number of levels but from what I know, I think she is just delaying the inevitable crash. That's my opinion ;)

Exactly the point I was trying to make in my first response :)

This student has thousands on order, not for the quality of the fish, just for the design, it seems crazy, just hope it works, when I think back years ago ( teenage) I had a goldfish that lived for years in a bowl, it was cleaned out when the water was green (bless it) but it did survive.......why.......how? I don't know.......

This student has thousands on order, not for the quality of the fish, just for the design, it seems crazy, just hope it works, when I think back years ago ( teenage) I had a goldfish that lived for years in a bowl, it was cleaned out when the water was green (bless it) but it did survive.......why.......how? I don't know.......

Your average consumer likes the look of fish and has no clue how to properly care for them, so I'm not surprised there are people wanting this for aesthetics alone. It's like the idiotic 3g Glo Tanks. Completely unsuitable for the fish they're marketed for, but people buy them in droves and then quit the hobby once their fish inevitably died. They were doomed from the start. Now if you wanted to use it for a betta, that's a whole 'nother story...

Goldfish are amazingly hardy and can live through a lot. Its why they're so commonly mistreated (same story is true for bettas). That said, surviving is not the same as thriving, as you realize now. Don't feel too guilty, I'm sure everyone here had a similar phase when they were just starting out and didn't know any better ;)

Good post Luan, I like the phrase, surviving is not the same as thriving..........

No new ideas, but she's the first to combine some well established ideas into a standardized and patentable product. By controlling the variables as much as possible it theoretically increases the likelihood of success.

Walstad type planted tanks have avoided water changes, that's nothing new. But it's a very specific situation that allows skipping water changes.

It'll be interesting to see if the theories she has subscribed to (the fluidized bed, the lighting, the tank size, the substrate) are ones that work out en masse.

I had one of those litter boxes. Freakin nightmare.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Back
Top Bottom