New Danios at Top of Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreamroper

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I bought a couple of Danios today; they have long fins and forked tails. I've never had this type of fish before. Ever since I've put them in the tank, they're swimming at the top. Out of all of the fish I've stocked since I established my tank, I've never seen this behavior. Is this normal, or is something wrong? I took 1.5 hour to acclimate them to the water before putting them in.

Thanks-D

The zebra danios I have spend the majority of their time in the top third. During lights out, they will hang out just below the surface.

Yeah mine swim at the top usually. Unless I throw some tasty treats in the tank for the plecos and loaches, and then they all come down for a snack.

I remember from my time studying at the national marine aquarium, you can tell if a fish is a top level fish or mid level fish by its colouring. Top level fish are pale on their undersides and dark on the top so they can't be seen looking down into the water or up from underneath. Little fact for you!

Thanks all. When I first put them in, one explored a little but now just swims at the top with his friend. They ate okay, but I've never seen fish that just stay at the top the whole time!
I appreciate the responses-D

When I had danios before, the first months I noticed that they stayed at the top too. I had a school of 10. Then when time passedand they were more comfortable with their tank they got more and more hyper and chased each other all over the tank 24-7. They used to drive my other fish crazy with all of that activity, especially the rasboras.

When I had danios before, the first months I noticed that they stayed at the top too. I had a school of 10. Then when time passedand they were more comfortable with their tank they got more and more hyper and chased each other all over the tank 24-7. They used to drive my other fish crazy with all of that activity, especially the rasboras.

Oh shoot, I don't want fish that will stress out everyone else. My tank is pretty peaceful right now other than minor skirmishes between the black skirted tetras. I'm glad I only got 2. Thanks-D

Oh shoot, I don't want fish that will stress out everyone else. My tank is pretty peaceful right now other than minor skirmishes between the black skirted tetras. I'm glad I only got 2. Thanks-D

I wouldn't say they would stress them just that when they made their "carousel" as I called it where they chased each other arounc all through the tank or their "highway" where they suddenly took off like a drag race all the others had to get out of their way or if theother fishes were say, sleeping, they would get awakened by the crazy danios, funniest thing ever :ROFLMAO:. In fact if you can manage the stocking and there is no space constraints I would get more, they will liven up your tank like you have no idea. They are the life of the party, they make even the laziest fish move and that's why I loved them.

EDIT: In fact talking to you about them is making me consider getting some again :D.

I wouldn't say they would stress them just that when they made their "carousel" as I called it where they chased each other arounc all through the tank or their "highway" where they suddenly took off like a drag race all the others had to get out of their way or if theother fishes were say, sleeping, they would get awakened by the crazy danios, funniest thing ever :ROFLMAO:. In fact if you can manage the stocking and there is no space constraints I would get more, they will liven up your tank like you have no idea. They are the life of the party, they make even the laziest fish move and that's why I loved them.

EDIT: In fact talking to you about them is making me consider getting some again :D.

They are pretty cool. The ones that I have are long and have flowing fins and tails. Do you know what kind they are? They still had 3 more left at the fish store. I might take your advice and go back and get them tomorrow. They're starting to get a little braver now. You know corys and the black skirted tetras tear around the tank like little maniacs too sometimes!

Back
Top Bottom