New directions for Seahem SAFE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coralbandit

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have been using Safe for a couple years now. The directions were for dry use . I mixed my safe with water in a opaque bottle since the beginning. I originally thought the mixture strong for no good reason..I even conducted test with a chlorine test kit where I could dose as low as 1/4 of the recommended amount and still [by test] have removed chlorine completely in a 30g barrel in less then 10 minutes...
The old directions were 1 teaspoon for every 200g...I was mixing 5 tsp per 500ml. to have a concentration that needed 1mg liquid per 2g..
Now in new bottling the directions have changed.
They say 1/4 teaspoon per 300 g.. It looks like my experiment readings may have been very close..:cool:
What I don't get is their math? At 1 tsp. per 200g the kilo said it treated 200,000 g [I am on my4-5 kilo !]..Now with using less then 1/4 the amount recommended before they say a kilo treats 240,000g...???
Wouldn't 200k times 4 be a lot more then 240K???
I feel the need to test even lower doses now !:eek:
I never had a problem with my test and really feared very little..I have a test kit from another top notch keeper who is a retired chemist so I really trust it....
What is everyones take on this and who uses safe??? You all just started saving way more then before IMO....:dance:

Have you contacted Seachem to ask about the changes?

I used to work for a company that did printing. And lots of times what was proofed and approved to print was WRONG.

Unless it was some sort of huge risk most of the time the misprint was left in stock to save money relabeling.

Hello Coral...

I've been using this product since it came out on the market. I use a one-eighth teaspoon spoon and dose this amount in every 5 gallons of replacement water. If I use a little more, I don't worry about it. I've never worried about overdosing. If I use a little less sometimes, that's really not a bad thing. The water that's already in the tank will dilute the chlorine and chloramine to the point that it's harmless to the fish.

B

Have you contacted Seachem to ask about the changes?

I used to work for a company that did printing. And lots of times what was proofed and approved to print was WRONG.

Unless it was some sort of huge risk most of the time the misprint was left in stock to save money relabeling.
I will contact them..I have spoken to them before on this very subject..Thety even got mg. math right to divide by 4 though..Errors rarely mathematically add up.. Used to be 1 tsp [5g] now is 1/4 tsp and 1.25mg ????They divided both numbers by 4 ,misprint ?

Hello Coral...

I've been using this product since it came out on the market. I use a one-eighth teaspoon spoon and dose this amount in every 5 gallons of replacement water. If I use a little more, I don't worry about it. I've never worried about overdosing. If I use a little less sometimes, that's really not a bad thing. The water that's already in the tank will dilute the chlorine and chloramine to the point that it's harmless to the fish.

B

With the old math you are using 50g worth of Safe for 5 g..That is a little more then over a little IMO..
Now you are dosing 150g worth into 5 g...
I would strongly consider re thinking your dose....

Just to be certain, safe handles chloramine?
Yes.
New directions ;
Use 1.25g[1/4 tsp.] for every 1,250 L[300 US Gallons] as needed to reduce chlorine and chloramine or use 1.25 g[1/4 tsp.] for every 300 L [75 US gallons for ammonia] .
May be added to aquarium directly ,but better if added to new water first. If adding directly to aquarium , base dose on aquarium volume. For exceptionally high chloramine conditions a double dose may be safely used.
To detoxify nitrite and nitrates in an emergency up to 4 times normal dose may be used. If temperature is over 30c [86f] and chlorine or ammonia levels are low use half dose..

Old directions;
Chlorine ; Use 5g [1tsp.]to each 750 L [200gallons] of water [Removes 4ppm].
Chloramine ;Use 5 g [ 1tsp.] to each 950 L [250 gallons] of tap water [removes 4ppm]
Ammonia ; Use 5 g[ 1 tsp.] to each 150 L[40 gallons ] of tap water [removes 4ppm ] . DO not overdose !
1kg treats up to 200,000 US gallons .

To detoxify nitrites /nitrates in an emergency situation use up to 5 g [1 tsp] to each 400 L [100 gallons ]. Use fish to gauge toxicity reduction as test kits will show presence of nitrite /nitrate even when detoxified .May be added to aquarium directly but is better if added to new water first. If adding directly to aquarium , base dose on aquarium volume .If temp is over 30c [86f] cut dosing in half.
1kg treats up to 960,000 L [240,000 US gallons]

Seachem's Safe

With the old math you are using 50g worth of Safe for 5 g..That is a little more then over a little IMO..
Now you are dosing 150g worth into 5 g...
I would strongly consider re thinking your dose....

Hello again...

Interesting. I never did the math on the "Safe' product. Checked with my LFS a few years back and was told there was little chance of overdosing since the product simply removes chlorine and chloramine and dextoxifies nitrogen. Was told the excess would be removed by the filtering system and changing the tank water regularly. He must have been right. I've dosed the same amount for years with no problems.

B

Just sent a email to SeaChem..
They are usually very good about responding in my personal history with them so we will see...

Back
Top Bottom