New dwarf gouramis!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rebekahbirch

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi there!
i bought two new dwarf gouramis today- one male on female -they were the brightest ones there and i'm VERY pleased that they're mine! :p
just a quick question: i've heard that they're very sensitive to new water, so are there any suggestions to keeping them a bit... happier for a coulpe of days when they're lss sensitive? like a cheical that relaxes them, or adding more hiding places or something?
they are also in a 30 gallon tank with 3 zebra danios. :D
thanks in advance,
Becky...XxX

is your tank fully cycled? as long as your tank is established and your water parameters are what they should be, your DG's should be good. just keep an eye on ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels for a couple weeks and do PWCs when necessary.

i would love to see pics!! are you sure you got a female?? they are pretty hard to come by

Never kept more than one dwarf gourami in a tank at a time so I'm not familiar with their behavior when paired, but they should be fine. They are pretty fragile fish though so I'd just make sure you keep up with PWCs to keep your nitrates down. Use API Stress Coat+. Treats the water and gives them a nice aloe stress coat.

Other than that, just give them time to acclimate. Just about every gourami I've ever had took about a day or two to adjust to their new setting and start exploring.

Female dwarf gouramis are somewhat rare in the hobby, and are typically drab in color as compared to males. I'm guessing that you got 2 males based on your description of bright coloration.

I've never seen females avail. at my lfs. Have online though. In photos they look like they have next to no color. I haven't had any luck trying to keep 2 dwarf gourami in one tank. Even if they get along at first..they begin to fight. What I have read is one is best, or a group with atleast three males and a 2:1 ratio of female to male.

Female dwarf gouramis are somewhat rare in the hobby, and are typically drab in color as compared to males. I'm guessing that you got 2 males based on your description of bright coloration.

from looking at the pictures provided, i'd say it was definately female,
and i live in the UK, so they might be more 'common' on the isle of wight??:D
thank tho!! :p

Females used to be far more common in my neck of the woods, they came into my LFS every time the males did. I always thought that they should be kept in pairs anyway.

mommytron, i'm going to TRY when my dad gets home, (his phone's picture quality is better!) but i'm not sure i can figure out how to do it yet... we'll see! :D

from looking at the pictures provided, i'd say it was definately female,
and i live in the UK, so they might be more 'common' on the isle of wight??:D
thank tho!! :p

They very well might be! :p

I know nothing about what is common and uncommon in the UK, just for the states. LOL. I hope you did get a pair!

C:\Documents and Settings\Becky\My Documents\My Pictures\Fish 1\Swimmy!
my female dwarf gourami, swimmy!

C:\Documents and Settings\Becky\My Documents\My Pictures\Fish 1\Skipper!
my male dwarf gourami, skipper!

C:\Documents and Settings\Becky\My Documents\My Pictures\Fish 1\Skipper!
skipper! (he <3s that filter... or hiding behind it anyway! :D)

C:\Documents and Settings\Becky\My Documents\My Pictures\Fish 1\Zebra Danios!
one of my three danios - Dave!

all three of my danios!

my zebra nerite snail, sherlock! :D

never mind- mommytron, if you still want to see pics of my dwarfs, go to my other post called 'my new dwarf gouramis!!!'
Becky....XxX

Back
Top Bottom