New Dwarf Puffer Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Captain Nemo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I was thinking about getting a 10 gallon aquarium and filling it with some dwarf pufferfish and some otto catfish. However I don't realy know all of the requirements needed to keep some. I've done some research and many people have said to plant your tank. I have no experience with this so any advise is helpful. I'm also planing to buy a AquaDuo 10 filter to limit water changes and to help with the ammonia and all the nitrates and such. http://www.amazon.com/Elive-Aqua-Duo-Purpose-Aquarium-Filter/dp/B00IK5QUOW If this causes a problem, it would be appreciated if some information about this filter was given. Any advise helps and i am pretty open to ideas. Thanks!(y)

Somebody with no experience filling a 10gal with pufferfish sounds like a recipe for disaster, to me.

I have 3 dwarf puffs in a 10 that is very heavily planted and honestly, they are harder to care for fish. I'd only keep them in a heavily planted set up as they are aggressive, yet small. Here's a basic care sheet I typed up a while ago
I have 3 in my 10 and they get along just fine, with the occasional territorial dispute. I wouldn't want add any other fish to the tank, even in a 10 gallon. The only fish that they always get along with and many have reported successful with are oto cats. They stay small and eat lots of algae. For some reason the puffs leave them alone. Maybe because of their dull colors and they don't move a lot?

DP's really do appreciate a planted tank. My 10 is very heavily planted, and they are constantly exploring and checking things out. One way to know if the puffs are bored is if they are "glass surfing". This is when they swim up and down or against the glass. My puffs do this whenever I enter the room because they are begging for food of course lol. They are highly inquisitive fish, very intelligent and very interactive as well. They peck at my hand during maintenance, beg for food, and know the difference between me and my siblings, mom and dad, probably because they know that I give them food, which carries on into feeding. :D

Dwarf puffers are listed as an intermediate fish for a reason. For me, that main reason is feeding. Most will need live food at some point. Some will accept frozen food that is waved in front of them for a while. Never, ever ever ever have I seen a puff accept flake or pellet food and I don't think I ever will. You can keep all kinds of live food cultures for them, like black worms (what I have right now), pest snails that grow and reproduce quickly, like pond, ramshorn and MTS snails, shrimp (RCS shrimplets) this may not be the best option because I would rather have shrimp in the tank to enjoy, and they cost money, which means you can make money off your live food :lol:

My blackworm culture is really simple. Just a small plastic container (just a small tupperware tub) and some plastic mesh for them to hold onto. Got a big sheet of the mesh at hobby lobby for 99 cents. Add your worms and just change the water every couple days. Don’t feed or nothing. Works perfectly for me.

Overall, they’re great fish. Pretty easy to keep IMO. Only the feeding is a problem. If you’re willing to go the extra mile for that, go ahead and try them!

I know the basic ins and outs of fish keeping, however I have never owned a planted tank or any sort of puffer fish (you have to start somewhere). I know DPs like to snack on snails, but how would I go about this? Would I just put some snails in the tank and let them reproduce, or would I just put one in every time to feed them? And what snails are the best for DPs? I was planning on getting either two females or a male and a female, with some otto catfish. Is this too much and will it cause any problems? I wanted to plant the tank and i was thinking about some java moss or some sort of carpet plant. Any suggestions on easy to care for plants the DPs would like is also appreciated. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom