Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-17-2004, 02:37 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Yahoo to JenNewbie
New dwarf puffer ?s

I picked up my new pair of puffers today, and they are FAT! My first pair wasn't nearly this big. Granted, these were the two that dwindled away and died... Did I just get a bum pair the first time? I had to ask the lfs guy if they were puffed up or just fat. Sorry, no digital camera, but they're even fatter than the pics of puffergirl's fish. Am I supposed to maintain them at this body condition, or should I slim them down? I know there is such a thing as obese fish, but how exactly do you gage a fish's body condition?

Old 07-17-2004, 05:42 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to madasafish
What were you feeding the other ones? A lot of puffers require live food and won't touch anything else.

Old 07-17-2004, 06:47 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to flipz
Your puffer should be fat... like a football. As long as the colors look good I wouldn't worry about it. Especially after they eat they will get a bigger belly.

How often are you feeding them though? And like madasafish... what are you feeding them?

-brent
Old 07-17-2004, 08:26 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Quite a few puffers come to us with internal parasites, and that is probably what does them in when we lose them shortly after getting them home. I do wonder about them being noticeably fat to the point that it makes you post about it - do they appear bloated?
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 08:26 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I just got these guys today. The first pair I had I was feeding dehydrated bloodworms, krill and live snails. They actually would pick the bloodworms from the surface. I got live bloodworms for these new puffers (see my thread "Live food woes"...) and their tank has a couple of dozen snails that have been proliferating since the last puffer died...
Old 07-18-2004, 11:19 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to madasafish
Silly of me not to write a more full response the first time...

I do also find that puffers will gorge themselves until they're quite fat before stopping eating... See the pictures of my dwarf puffers in my gallery for reference! Fat is probably not a bad thing, in this case, but you might want to wait a few days before feeding them so as to determine if this is a dropsy problem or simply an overeating issue. I find that these fish only have to be fed (live food) every few days anyway, as they are a carnivorous fish.
Old 07-18-2004, 04:18 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

These two are definitely fatter than most of the puffers in your gallery, masasafish. You pic of "fat puffer" is close to the (slightly) slimmer one. I'm not too concerned about disease because all of the puffers in the lfs tank were chubby. I think I may have had the two fattest chosen for me because I had commented on how big they all were. Well, that answers my question on whether or not to feed them today, since I normally fast my 2 tanks at home on Sundays. I'll keep an eye on them, but they seem very active and alert. I notice all the snails have gone for cover, too...

75 gal tank: 2 discus, 1 blue dwarf gourami, 1 male blue gourami, 1 male gold gourami, 1 female platinum gourami, 1 kissing gourami, 2 balloon mollys, 1 sailfin molly, 1 black neon tetra, 1 white cloud, 1 T-bone rasbora, 14 dwarf neon rainbows, 2 leopard danios, 1 female betta, 1 male betta, 1 clown loaches, 1 clown pleco, 1 pit bull pleco, 1 dojo loach, 1 golden apple snail, 4 corys
JenNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dwarf, dwarf puffer, puffer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com