New elephant nose is scared of me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sebastienb

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi guys, I got an elephant nose on Friday and he stays hidden unless there's is total darkness in the tank and room. Because of that I'm having a hard time feeding him as the other fish won't leave any food for him. Should I be worried ? It's only been a day

Not at all. This is totally normal especially for new fish. Try keeping the lights off all day for a few days, and he should get used to you. He should fully recognize you after a few weeks. Happens with every new fish I get. Shy fish are a bit harder to get used to though. He should start eating any time soon:)

No problem. Another solution would be approaching him with treats such as bloodworms or krill, even brine shrimp or beef hearts:)
Just make sure he starts eating within a few days.

Good Luck!

He started coming out to eat since yesterday. I only get to feed him at night, he starts coming out with just the moonlight and come out for longer periods with all lights out.

Hi guys, I got an elephant nose on Friday and he stays hidden unless there's is total darkness in the tank and room. Because of that I'm having a hard time feeding him as the other fish won't leave any food for him. Should I be worried ? It's only been a day

I have an elephant nose had him for over a year. They are nocturnal need to feed with the lights off. When he settles and gets more confidence he, ll come out more. Mine is out day and night i feed him morning and night with the lights off.
Nobody in my tank take his food lol but he's big! And i re homed most of my fish. Good luck with him there great fish :)

Nobody in my tank take his food lol but he's big! And i re homed most of my fish. Good luck with him there great fish :)

How do you feed him and keep it from the others ? I have to feed everyone blood worms after their regular flakes and sinking pellets to make sure the elephant nose gets some

How do you feed him and keep it from the others ? I have to feed everyone blood worms after their regular flakes and sinking pellets to make sure the elephant nose gets some

When i first got him i hand fed him, now i feed him in the same place all the time they get use to you doing that. I don't have a lot of fish with him but what i do is turn the lights out feed my other guy's then i drop in his food slowly. He's very dominant so nobody touches his. You could try target feeding him till he gets confident or even better live bait.

Meant to say my guy eats live bait bloodworm and brine, frozen food bloodworm, brine with garlic and mosquito larvae white or black. I have tried all frozen and these are the one's he will eat :)

Meant to say my guy eats live bait bloodworm and brine, frozen food bloodworm, brine with garlic and mosquito larvae white or black. I have tried all frozen and these are the one's he will eat :)

Can I feed him just hatched brine shrimp ? Their so small not sure he will even see them. I' getting some ready for him not sure if I should let them get bigger first.

Can I feed him just hatched brine shrimp ? Their so small not sure he will even see them. I' getting some ready for him not sure if I should let them get bigger first.

I would try it, mine eats it he loves live bloodworm too. Just give it a go and see!

Back
Top Bottom