New filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steez

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So... I posted a thread asking if the ac110 would be a good filter for my 55g. Two days later a guy who works at my LFS, who I usually associate with, said he had a AC110 that he got a month ago, that he wants to remove from his tank because his Fluval 405 was plenty to power it. He sold me the ac110 for $25, keeping the filter media for himself.

I want to put the ac110 on my 55g and move the existing HOB filter to my 10g tank. (cheapo Topfin60 filter that came with the all-in-one 55g package at petsmart lol). Even though the topfin is cheap, it should provide plenty of filtration for my 10g. I also have a API Nexx can. filter on my 55g that I will not be messing with, the current filter/media will stay intact.

What's the best way of going at this? Could I take one of the two filters out of my Topfin and put it into the new AC110. Then take the 10g filters media out and replace the one I took out of the Topfin? Or should I just move the topfin over to the 10g tank, leaving both of the built up filters intact, and just use brand new filters / etc for the AC110?

If it were me, and both tanks are currently cycled, stable, and stocked... I would add the AC110 to the 55g with virgin media and let it run for a month. This should allow some time for it to build up some bacteria in preparation to take on the full load.

Then, you can take your Topfin60 and move it over to your 10g with its existing media and allow it to take over the duty cycle in that tank.

Well my 10g is cycling right now. If I moved the Topfin filter over it would finish the 10g cycling, wouldn't it? Since a majority of the BB is on the filters, two build filters would speed up the cycle on it considerably?

Also...I still do have the Canister filter on my 55g that is cycled and prepared, I could just keep a close eye on my 55g while the new ac110 builds?

steez said:
Well my 10g is cycling right now. If I moved the Topfin filter over it would finish the 10g cycling, wouldn't it? Since a majority of the BB is on the filters, two build filters would speed up the cycle on it considerably?

Also...I still do have the Canister filter on my 55g that is cycled and prepared, I could just keep a close eye on my 55g while the new ac110 builds?

If you moved the other filter over to your ten gallon then you would have to move some bio media to the new filter. Same with the 55 gallon.

Just so I understand...you've got-

- 55 gallon, cycled, established and stocked
- Running both a canister filter as well as a TopFin 60 on it

Also-

- 10 gallon tank currently cycling (fishless, right?)
- I'm guessing some sort of small, cheap filter that came with it? (sorry if I missed that part)

You want to move the TopFin 60 over to the 10 gallon and replace it with the AQ 110, so you'd be running both the canister and AQ on the 55, right?

If both the canister and TopFin 60 have been running for a while on the 55, it shouldn't be a big deal to pull off the HOB and stick it on the 10. One of the main reasons people run 2 filters on the same tank is so they can pull the smaller one off and set up a QT.

If the 55 hasn't been set up and established long...I'd be more leery of removing any media. The more recently it cycled, the more delicate the balance will be, and you wouldn't want to pull out too much media and risk mini-cycling (which could still easily be handled with some water changes). But like I said, if it's been established for a while it should be fine.

If you want to be cautious, you can take half the media out of the TopFin and stick it in the new AQ (scissors help if it's one big cartridge or something). That way when you replace it, you're only losing 50% of the bacteria in that particular filter...and the other 50% being moved to the 10 gallon will help tremendously to get it cycled. Obviously either leave the current filter on the 10 gallon running, or just move the media over to the TopFin (which would be fine...just throw the spare small one in the closet).

Let me know if I've got anything mixed up :)

Last edited:
Just so I understand...you've got-

- 55 gallon, cycled, established and stocked
- Running both a canister filter as well as a TopFin 60 on it
Yes.

Also-

- 10 gallon tank currently cycling (fishless, right?)
- I'm guessing some sort of small, cheap filter that came with it? (sorry if I missed that part)
-Fishless, yes (almost done)
-yes, I have a cheap 20g rated filter on it.
You want to move the TopFin 60 over to the 10 gallon and replace it with the AQ 110, so you'd be running both the canister and AQ on the 55, right?
Yes.

If both the canister and TopFin 60 have been running for a while on the 55, it shouldn't be a big deal to pull off the HOB and stick it on the 10. One of the main reasons people run 2 filters on the same tank is so they can pull the smaller one off and set up a QT.
Yes they have been, and they are definitely established filters. Wouldn't that pretty much insta-finish my 10g cycle?

If the 55 hasn't been set up and established long...I'd be more leery of removing any media. The more recently it cycled, the more delicate the balance will be, and you wouldn't want to pull out too much media and risk mini-cycling (which could still easily be handled with some water changes). But like I said, if it's been established for a while it should be fine.
It hasn't been too long, but I don't mind monitoring my 55g for a mini-cycle if it happens. Wouldn't be too long of one.

So pretty much to sum it up, if I just put a virgin filter on my 55g and move the topfin over, I just need to monitor my 55g closely for a while.

I think you've got it figured out :)

If your cycle is just about done...the new media should pretty much get it cycled (depending on how much beneficial bacteria is in the media). You'll find out in a couple days I guess. :)

Normally if you have an established filter there's no need to do a fishless cycle, you can just very slowly start stocking the new tank, monitoring parameters, pwc's as needed, wait till it's stable, add a few more fish, monitor parameters, etc... But since you've already got a fishless cycle going on it's a bit more tricky. IMO, you definitely want to make sure it's fully cycled before stocking, otherwise there's potential for nitrIte spikes if you've basically got an unbalanced proportion of types of bacteria.

Great. Thanks a lot man.

And btw, I can't run the little filter on the 10g with the Topfin, there's no room. The topfin is going to practically cover the entire back portion of the 10g lol

steez said:
Great. Thanks a lot man.

And btw, I can't run the little filter on the 10g with the Topfin, there's no room. The topfin is going to practically cover the entire back portion of the 10g lol

That's no problem, just make sure you jam all the media from the old one into the TopFin. You don't want to lose any of it. I hope your new fish like a strong current :)

Will do.

Well uh...one's a betta. I'm a little concerned but I'm going to let it play out and see how much actual current is in my tank when it's on.

So one problem...I only have about a 3" clearance from my tank and the wall behind it. It sits on a ledge in my room, which has pure rock underneath it. I have about 2" more ledge that I could scoot it forward on to.

How much water will I have to remove to move a 55g tank 2 inches forward? Just sliding it.

steez said:
So one problem...I only have about a 3" clearance from my tank and the wall behind it. It sits on a ledge in my room, which has pure rock underneath it. I have about 2" more ledge that I could scoot it forward on to.

How much water will I have to remove to move a 55g tank 2 inches forward? Just sliding it.

Probably a lot, lol. A gallon of PURE water weighs almost 8 1/2 lbs, so you're looking at almost 470lbs right there not including the substrate, decorations, etc... So I'm betting that thing weighs well over 500 pounds. Hope you've got some strong friends :)

Well.. if I take out 75% of the water it wouldn't be too bad. I'm just worried about the tank cracking or breaking I guess.

steez said:
Well.. if I take out 75% of the water it wouldn't be too bad. I'm just worried about the tank cracking or breaking I guess.

It wont crack if you just move it with 75% water out. I did that with my 40g tank

Yeah, a buddy and I moved a 55 gallon a few years ago. He basically drained it down to the substrate and we carried it to the truck...the thing still was on the verge of causing a hernia.

I took it down to 25% water level, my oscar wasn't happy with me. Was able to move it forward on my own. It's about 75% back filling up right now. No temperature change at all, must of made the water going back in just perfect lol.

It scared me because the plastic was a little stuck, and when it gave way it moved really easily lol. Almost wasn't prepared for how quickly it gave way.

eco23 said:
Yeah, a buddy and I moved a 55 gallon a few years ago. He basically drained it down to the substrate and we carried it to the truck...the thing still was on the verge of causing a hernia.

That's how my 40g was. I took it down to redo the back paint

And yes they get stuck from the weight

yup :D

Oscars short memory is awesome, he's already running around like nothing happened lol

Back
Top Bottom