New filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maestromad

Aquarium Advice Addict
K so I'm upgrading my filter tomorrow, I know to try ad get some of the old media in the new one but I'm pretty sure that I wont be able to fit both pads in.
I'm going from a fluval U2 to a u3. Would it be ok to run without the poly/carbon so I can put my old foam against the new one.
Also how long should I have the old media in with the new and can I do just one cartridge or should I do both?
Thanks guys :)

How big is your tank and why did you choose to use an internal filter? I do not enjoy internal filters cause they are a pain to clean IMO. You have to put your hand in the tank and usaually remove the filter to to clean it or add /change any media. IMO I would go with a HOB filter if your looking fo a slightly better filter with more media options. If your using the fluval UV filter cause its a fry tank then you can always put sponge media around the intake tube on a HOB filter to protect the fry.

Carbon is not really needed unless you want to remove meds. As long as you add the media from the old filter and run it for a couple a weeks you should be ok

I had an aquaclear for the past two years and i just upgraded to the Fluval U4. I love it so far. The AquaClear kinda was loud with the waterfall splash which got on my nerves so this in water filter is pretty sweet (tank is in my room so noise sucks when i sleep). It also moves lots of water. with the 3 modes, i use the tower which is gentle but creates a great current around my tank. It also has a air thing that you can put on it so you can airate the water well. ive got an air stone in my tank so that feature isnt needed but its nice to have. Sorry its not a review on the U3 but i can only review what i got.

Thanks everyone. I've always had an internal filter only upgraded as the U2 is only up to 110l which is my tank size. I don't see many hob filters plus don't have the room externally.
The filter comes with carbon/poly as the second pad no other choice.
Yes I took love the fact you can have the column which produces a nice gentle wave and my fish like to swim into it and get pushed back!
So I'll leave the carbo/poly out for a week or so and double the new foam with the old so it seeds I guess.

Fishjunkie I find the fluval u series a breeze to clean they have pop up lids and the cartridges slide out.

I have a U4 placed horizontally on the bottom of the tank as a secondary filter, and for current. It was very good. It's easy to pop out and in when needed.

You should also use all of the old bio-filter ceramic things. Just put all the old ones and then whatever new fresh ones you can fit. I pack mine very full, almost to where I can't close it.

Back
Top Bottom