New Filter????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kmny34

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm looking to get a filter for my new 29 gallon tank and am wondering which one is the best to buy?

PS: I want a back hung filter! I have a 30 gallon w/ a aqueon quietflow 30 and the same for my 10 gallon except quietflow 10. Just want to know if I should be using something that's better and want to maybe try something new!

Oh boy...:blink:

This topic and question is about as wide-ranging and opinion-sparking as they come -- and it pops up so often in hobbyist forums...

You'll hear so many different opinions on this subject; two of the more quality-oriented brands in this realm are the Aqueon QuietFlows and the aforementioned Hagen AquaClears.

Edit: I see you're already trying the QuietFlows from Aqueon; is there a reason you would be searching for something "different" or "better"? The media the AquaClears take is more convenient and more customizable, hence why most hobbyists love them. The Aqueon cartridges pose all sorts of questions in terms of effectiveness and routine maintenance (just see my thread about this below yours here) but I still like them for their sheer water moving capabilities; once the "surface rift" of these filters gets going, their water movement is almost unapproachable by other HOBs...

Oh boy...:blink:

This topic and question is about as wide-ranging and opinion-sparking as they come -- and it pops up so often in hobbyist forums...

You'll hear so many different opinions on this subject; two of the more quality-oriented brands in this realm are the Aqueon QuietFlows and the aforementioned Hagen AquaClears.

Yup haha. I still have my TopFin that came with the tank and it hasn't failed me yet..no need to get rid of it.

Yup haha. I still have my TopFin that came with the tank and it hasn't failed me yet..no need to get rid of it.

Well, I'm glad your Top Fin is working good, though I wouldn't seek one out as an external HOB if I were shopping for one for a tank; now -- that being said, my Top Fin AIR-8000 air pump is still pumping the bubbles through my two 18" Petco bars with a steady, nice force I couldn't seem to achieve with either the Rena or Tetra pumps I previously used...:blink: :confused:

Go figure...

Well, I'm glad your Top Fin is working good, though I wouldn't seek one out as an external HOB if I were shopping for one for a tank; now -- that being said, my Top Fin AIR-8000 air pump is still pumping the bubbles through my two 18" Petco bars with a steady, nice force I couldn't seem to achieve with either the Rena or Tetra pumps I previously used...:blink: :confused:

Go figure...

Yeah..I wouldn't get one if you were purchasing a new one. They're cheap and reliable..with a good warranty too.

But what was stated before is probably better for HOBs.

Yeah..I wouldn't get one if you were purchasing a new one. They're cheap and reliable..with a good warranty too.

You know, to be perfecly honest, they're probably just as "good" or "reliable" as other like-oriented filters in this class, such as the Tetra Whispers and such; at the end of the day, they filter water through cartridge media...the power of the filtering is what would make them different...do you find your Top Fin to provide a nice, strong flow via its outputs?

But what was stated before is probably better for HOBs.

I always recommend the Aqueons, AquaClears or even Hagen's own Fluvals...(y)

I haven't actually measured it's gph, but as far as I can tell it does.

Aqua clears have the HOB locked down IMO even after Fluval took over. You just can't beat an aqua clear for an HOB.

AC hands down IMO....

I believe the Fluval name was always beneath the "Hagen" corporate umbrella, which also encompassed AquaClear...

Now, they (Hagen) just dumped the "AquaClear" brand/name and made the filters all "Fluval" branded...

I believe the Fluval name was always beneath the "Hagen" corporate umbrella, which also encompassed AquaClear...

Now, they (Hagen) just dumped the "AquaClear" brand/name and made the filters all "Fluval" branded...

So they aren't named aquaclear anymore?

My Aqueon filter that came with my tank died finally so I bought the Fluvsl C4 HOB. I have a fairy populated community 55g with a lot of live plants & bog wood. I am very impressed with the new filter. I plan on replacing my other HOB soon with another Fluval. I'm sold

My Aqueon filter that came with my tank died finally so I bought the Fluvsl C4 HOB. I have a fairy populated community 55g with a lot of live plants & bog wood. I am very impressed with the new filter. I plan on replacing my other HOB soon with another Fluval. I'm sold

What kind of fluval would I get for a 29 gallon?

What kind of fluval would I get for a 29 gallon?

I would go with the C3. It's for 20-50 gallon. I like to go a little larger than required. More filter more better! I have quite a few fish in my 55. No worries tho, my water's good & so are the fish ;)

My c4 is loud as can be! Ever since day one! I even greased the impeller with Vaseline to no avail

So they aren't named aquaclear anymore?

It's a bit hazy at this time; while HAGEN owns both "divisions," the filters themselves are the same AquaClears we're used to, from what I could tell when I saw them last at Petsmart, yet the packaging has been changed to read "FORMERLY AQUACLEAR" -- however, interestingly, I couldn't find any images of the box I saw the last time I was at Petsmart, on which it CLEARLY said "FORMERLY AQUACLEAR" but this is what they pretty much look like now:

img_2460347_0_8e95f8b9054fab995a1d0da3c8d1ddcf.jpg

I like the Aqueon better. It's quieter and the outflow is better. It also self primes which the AC doesn't.

The Aqueon also has more space for media. You can if you wanted take AC Biomax media and use it in the Aqueon. You can dump them into the well of the Aqueon or stuff them into the floss cartridges( switching out the carbon of course ).

Aqua clears have the HOB locked down IMO even after Fluval took over. You just can't beat an aqua clear for an HOB.

AC hands down IMO....

Agree! Aqua clear/Fluval are great. Then I would go marineland for your tank 350 would be good. I owned one quiet flow and will never own one again. Never had any problems with my fluvals or marinelands. I have had the same 350 for over 10 years with no problems at all

Back
Top Bottom