New Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishinfreak

Aquarium Advice Freak
Lately I have been noticing buildups of organic stuff (I would guess leaked dirt, maybe left over foot, fish crap, and other stuff) on some of the denser areas of plants in my 6.6g (24" long) and am wondering if the single AC 20 in the center isn't producing enough flow to the outside. Actually I'm pretty sure its not but...
The debris seems to be resulting in some algae (although some of is probably from a not totally balanced planted tank). I got a few Amazon gift cards for Christmas and am wondering if maybe i could put them towards a new (canister) filter. Do you guys think this would help with increasing the flow and overall improving the tank?
Right now I'm looking at a SunSun, since they are cheap and seem to still work pretty well. Amazon.com : SunSun Hw302 264GPH Pro Canister Filter Kit : Pet Supplies I also know they usually don't quite hit their gph rating, which may be a good thing for this small of a tank.

:thanks::thanks::thanks:

An AC 20 on a 6.6 gallon is exactly what I have on my tank and I've never had a problem. Buildup of too many uglies means you need to vacuum the substrate my friend and feed a lot less food. What kinds of fish do you have in there? Also, that stuff is mulm and acts as a fertilizer for plants. Add more plants, cut down on the feeding. I wouldn't go for a canister filter really.

I'm thinking the sunsun might be too much flow. I am running an AC50 temporarily on my 6.6g. It was moved from an existing tank. It is a QT.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

An AC 20 on a 6.6 gallon is exactly what I have on my tank and I've never had a problem. Buildup of too many uglies means you need to vacuum the substrate my friend and feed a lot less food. What kinds of fish do you have in there? Also, that stuff is mulm and acts as a fertilizer for plants. Add more plants, cut down on the feeding. I wouldn't go for a canister filter really.
I pretty much agree with it, but I vaccum at least once a week, in addition to top offs. I feel like one of the problems is the jungles of ludwigia/rotala (im blanking out on what it is) and wisteria in the corners stop any flow in the area.

I'm thinking the sunsun might be too much flow. I am running an AC50 temporarily on my 6.6g. It was moved from an existing tank. It is a QT.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
That's one of the things I was worried about with the sunsun, not sure if the AC 50 will be an improvement. Under certain circumstances, even the ac20 has been able to dig the sand down to the dirt. :facepalm:

Any other filter suggestions, or maybe Ill just leave it for now and try alot of vaccuming.

A Fluval 106 would likely work well, although it's not a cheap option. You could look into running dual HOBs on either side or a mini powerhead. I'd look into the powerhead idea first.

A Fluval 106 would likely work well, although it's not a cheap option. You could look into running dual HOBs on either side or a mini powerhead. I'd look into the powerhead idea first.

I agree the 106 is probably more than i want to spend. I like the idea of the mini powerhead. I will look into either a mini if they make them, or just a low flow rt.

I agree the 106 is probably more than i want to spend. I like the idea of the mini powerhead. I will look into either a mini if they make them, or just a low flow rt.

Hydor makes a pico powerhead (Hydor Pico Evo-Mag 180) that I know some people use in their nano tanks, could be worth researching. Let us know what you end up getting and what the results are!

Hydor makes a pico powerhead (Hydor Pico Evo-Mag 180) that I know some people use in their nano tanks, could be worth researching. Let us know what you end up getting and what the results are!
Sounds good, I will look into it.

Just looked at the hydor pico, and I'm very heavily considering it now. It is adjustable from 0-180 gph, and seems pretty small still.

Nice. Curious to see how you like it, as I've considered getting one but have never reeeeally needed it. I use a Hydor Koralia 240 on my 29g and really like it though.

Back
Top Bottom