New Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UDCatFish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am thinking about changing my Aqueon 50 HOB filter to an AquaClear HOB because I read they were better and kept the water clearer. I am wondering which AquaClear is better..... the one rated for up to 50g that cycles 200GPH, or the one rated for up to 70g that cycles 300GPH. I have a 36g Aqueon Bowfront freshwater, non planted, gravel aquarium. It's residents are 6 Zebra Danios, 12 Golden Cloud Minnows and 4 UDC's. Water parameters are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 10ppm nitrates. Tank is fully cycled.
Any advice ?
Also do I need to run both filters until the new one establishes a bacterial colony? That would make one heck of a current in my tank if I do!
Any advice, suggestions are greatly appreciated

I'm running an AC 70 on a 20g and it makes a decent current. When I'm doubt always go for more filtration. You really can't over filter. And yes I would run both together unless you can put the used media from the Aqeon in the new filter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm running an AC 70 on a 20g and it makes a decent current. When I'm doubt always go for more filtration. You really can't over filter. And yes I would run both together unless you can put the used media from the Aqeon in the new filter.

+1 the 70 makes a good current on a 20g (I used as a QT) and with the fish you have in sure they will love the current.

If you don't want to run both, run both for 1 month then remove the old filter. This gives plenty of time for the bacteria to establish.

Caleb

Last edited:

+1

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I really think you will like the AC better than the Aqueon filter. You can modify what you include in the AC and add additional filter floss from the craft store for more fine filtration. They do sell it at fish stores but it's way over priced there. Just make sure it's polyfill. The cotton stuff will not work.

I just changed from an Aqueon to a Fluval C4. I took the cartridge from the aqueon and cut the cloth/sponge part up and put it in the place in the C4 that is meant for charcoal. Been about 10 days and still at 0 ppm ammonia and nitrite so looks like that worked. I will remove the aqueon reminants in 3-4 weeks and use that space for boi-balls :D

Thanks for everyone's input. I bought the AquaClear 70 g. I put the media from the old filter into the new one. It has been 5 days now. I have tested the water everyday and ammonia remaining at 0. I will continue to do so for another week or so. I love this filter!! Thanks to all who provided excellent advice and opinions.

Glad to hear you were able to find something you are happy with.

Back
Top Bottom