New Filter Media???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kribbman

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a penguin HOB filter with a bio wheel, Ive been using the replaceable pads for a while now. Ive been using 2 at a time, rinsing them in used water every water change Then removing one of them every 2 weeks, but lately these filter pads have been disolving or becoming very fragile (the blue floss part). And now I cant even reuse the newer one, because it will disintegrate. My water parameters are fine and havent changed by the way.

I was wondering if there is anything else I could (or should) use as filter media. I was thinking of using a sponge or even those ceramic cylinders used in canister filters, or even Bio Balls..

Due to the way the water flows through this particular brand of filter I dont know what would be the best alternative to the filterpads..

Not to mention the fact that a 3 pack now cost about $10 and its starting to get a little too expensive to replace them...

I think I used to have a penguin. Didn't it come with an empty casing to hold stuff in? If it's the one I'm thinking, yeah I put ceramic rings in that casing and then just used the blue filter until it wore out and replaced it. You could also just use filter floss, it's dirt cheap, but will clog more quickly than the coarser foam pads. Polishes the water to a whole other level though.

Back
Top Bottom