New Fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mitchfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
My 26 gallon is looking better now. I just changed the gravel from blue to brown, and I added a dwarf gourami. All the fish are doing good and I'm wondering if I can stock any more fish, and what do you guys recommend?

1 Dwarf Gourami
6 Gold Pristella Tetras
8 Bloodfin Tetras

Attachments

• IMG_0725.jpg
    IMG_0725.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_0736.jpg
    IMG_0736.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 94
I am not a fan of balloon mollies personally because, from what I have seen, they tend to have a lot of health issues and don't seem to last as long as regular mollies. Thats probably not everybody's experience, but thats mine.

The plecos sound good, and I don't prefer livebearers. Perhaps a school of something, any ideas?

Where do your current fish swim? Some cories could work IMO, but you may be looking for something that swims a bit higher up in the tank. I wouldn't personally add more tetras or anything like that because it will just look messy and cramped.
I really like pitbull plecos. They are small, but a bit hardier than otos. :)

Where do your current fish swim? Some cories could work IMO, but you may be looking for something that swims a bit higher up in the tank. I wouldn't personally add more tetras or anything like that because it will just look messy and cramped.
I really like pitbull plecos. They are small, but a bit hardier than otos. :)
The bloodfins swim at the bottom, mostly in the back, the pristellas are upfront, and the gourami is basically all over.

Well, I think you are approaching fully stocked. The only schooler I suggest looking into are harlequin rasboras or espei rasboras. They stay a bit smaller than a lot of other similar schooling fish and often swim higher up than a lot of common tetras do. If it was my tank though, I would just stick with the pitbull plecos and add a couple more Pristella tetras.
Do you have a test kit to measure your water parameters? I am asking because knowing that is a good indicator for how much more you can stock in a tank. :)

Do you guys think that I can add a school of zebra danios to use up the top third of the tank??

Do you guys think that I can add a school of zebra danios to use up the top third of the tank??
How long is the tank? From the picture, it looks to be more on the tall side than the long side so a smaller danio might be a better choice like a glowlight danio (not the same as GloFish).

Well it is almost as high as long, but it is 26 gallons so it should be plenty of space... almost 24 inches

Ya the picture does actually make it look kinda small lol. Any other suggestions for the upper part of the tank?

If it was me, I would just add purple passion danios and pitbull plecos and be done. There are also pearl danios which are really cool looking.

mitchfish said:

Only problem with Zebra Danios is they are so busy and fast, they may annoy your other fish or nip them. Many people have had bad experiences with them.

I love my Celestial Pearl Danios and my Threadfin Rainbows. I'd recommend either.

My Corydoras habrosus are super cute as well. They are dwarf Cories so they only get 1.5".

I don't think the current tank residents would have an issue with zebra danios. Pristella tetras are pretty chill usually.

Well the zebras would pretty much be all by their selves up there so I think they would be ok. The celestial pearl danios look very cool as well, but I have not seen them at my lfs :(

Cpd are not as common as zebra danios are. I think zebra danios would be fine. :)
Let us know what you end up doing!

Back
Top Bottom