New fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Your parameters suggest an uncycled tank, or that the BB is adjusting to your additions, OR that pleco is already producing enough bioload that your biofilter can't keep up. I would seriously consider rehoming/returning the pleco, I'm not educated enough to say if any pleco can be in a 16gallon tank but I do know the amount of bioload they produce would seriously limit what other fish you could put in the 60L tank. For example I really wanted a gold nugget pleco for my 55 but after I found out that they produce so much waste and that even one would lessen the amount of fish I could put in the 55g, I decided against getting one at all.

That looks like a common pleco to me :/ I hate to say it but from memory I think they get to around 18" but defiantly over a foot long and they really are poop machines, a 60l really isn't big enough either and you will Likely find it difficult to rehome him when he out grows the tank because its such a commonly miss sold fish unfortunately no body wants them because its hard to meet their requirements and fish shops can't sell them :( do you think you could get a refund?

Seeded filter media can cycle a tank in about a week, bottled bacteria can help boost the cycling process but that way, fish-in or out cycling can take months so there's really no way to tell. Constant water tests is the only way to keep your fish safe and to monitor how your cycle is coming along. You should see a high amount of ammonia at first, then ammonia drops and nitrite rises, then you should see nitrite drop and nitrate being produced. Seeing consistent 0-0-<40 is the only way to tell if you're cycled

On a side note, if you want something similar but much more beneficial for your tank I would suggest ottoclincus ottos for short.

Shane87 said:
That looks like a common pleco to me :/ I hate to say it but from memory I think they get to around 18" but defiantly over a foot long and they really are poop machines...

+1. I thought it looked like a common too

Hello. I am not positive about what species your pleco is, I am not so great IDing young plecos. I suggest you get a few more shots and post a thread asking for an ID. That will help you out. :) If you can also get a shot of the mouth while it is sucking on the glass, that would be helpful.
In the meantime, your parameters are not awful, but your tank is still cycling. Here is an article about fish-in cycling. It's not actually that hard to do a fish-in cycle and you are progressing well through the cycle anyways. So, read this article, and then feel free to ask if you have any questions. :)
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/fish-in-cycling-step-over-into-the-dark-side-176446.html

Newkeeperotis said:
What are ottos ???

Ottos are ottocinclus(someone check my spelling), they are a type of catfish with sucker mouths that stay around 2 inches, I have a couple. But the fish you posted a pic of is absolutely definitely not an Otto if you we're wondering

Ottos are small sucker mouth catfish of the loricariidae family and its scientific name ( spelled correctly this time lol ) is otocinclus vestitus, they only get to 1.6 inch and have a reasonably low bio load, they are also great algae eaters, google it you should find a lot of information on them

Back
Top Bottom