New Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

misterpenguin4

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just set up a 10 gallon iwagumi aquarium and I think a german blue ram cichlid would be very cool. What other fish or shrimp could i stick in there if any?
Thanks!

First off, you cant put that fish in a 10 gallon aquarium. Although, technically you could, it wouldn't be salubrious.

I agree, although you could put a ram in a 10 gallon but its not a bioload or completely a space thing, its their sensitivity to toxins and in a 10g it may be hard to keep up with(you should wait at the least several months so you know how your tank builds up these toxins) and keep your fish healthy and happy. As far as shrimp goes, you can put most shrimp in a 10 without issues

Well I have seen many videos on youtube and read alot of threads of people that keep the german blue ram in a 10 gallon tank succesfuly. What kind of shrimp and fish could I also put WITH the german blue ram?

I agree. German Blue Rams die very easily. Are you a beginner? Cycled tank?

I have 2 other tanks. One community and one african cichlid. The tank is not yet cycled, and i know i cannot put any fish in it for a while. Im actually on my way home now with some hardy fish to put in it to get the cycle started.

First off, German blues are a lot hardier than what everyone is saying. Electric blues are the sensitive ones. Second, you can keep a German blue in a 10 gallon, but that would be the ONLY fish you could keep in there, which is kind of cruel. That fish in that small of a tank would be ultra aggressive and would kill pretty much kill anything you put in there. Rams are cichlids and are territorial. They do well in communities when they have space. Shrimp are not a good idea with rams in any size tank. They will eat the shrimp. Lastly, if you maintain your tank the way you are supposed to, a 10 gallon would be stable enough for even sensitive fish/shrimp.

First off, German blues are a lot hardier than what everyone is saying. Electric blues are the sensitive ones. Second, you can keep a German blue in a 10 gallon, but that would be the ONLY fish you could keep in there, which is kind of cruel. That fish in that small of a tank would be ultra aggressive and would kill pretty much kill anything you put in there. Rams are cichlids and are territorial. They do well in communities when they have space. Shrimp are not a good idea with rams in any size tank. They will eat the shrimp. Lastly, if you maintain your tank the way you are supposed to, a 10 gallon would be stable enough for even sensitive fish/shrimp.

I do agree that they are a lot hardier than what the Internet makes it seem (in my opinion), but German blues and electric blues are the same fish except the electric blues have been selectively bred to show that "electric" blue color. They are both sensitive fish in general though.The hardier ram of the three is the Bolivian ram.

I think a 10g for a ram is a bit small, and it will probably be very territorial in a small space. But I think you could get by with only one small ram.

Keep up on your water changes to keep your nitrates low, and make sure your tank is cycled before adding a ram and you should be successful in keeping them :)

Well one fish would be kind of boring. Any other ideas for some cool fish (a iwagumi tank)? Preferably that would go with shrimp if not thats fine.

No fish is a guarantee, but most nano fish would be a safer bet. I keep endlers with my shrimp in a 10 gallon, and I've never seen any aggression. In fact, both populations have exploded and help me fund my addiction to this hobby! Hehe. Another fish I've heard good things about is the sparkling gourami. They only get to about an inch and are a peaceful type. Oh, and let's not forget celestial pearl danios! I keep them as well.

Not sure about how odd they are but have you seen celestial pearl danios? They may be a good fit for a iwagumi/shrimp tank.
Edit: Sorry Creic, I just saw the last part of your post

That's cool.....I do that all the time hehe. They are cool little fish. I have 6 of them in one of my set ups. As far as odd fish, there are some nano rasboras that are a little hard to come by. Chili rasboras are real cool looking.

I know you don't really want to hear this, it's tough to find fish the would absolutely work in the current set up for 2 reasons. First, 10 gallons is a small tank. Second, you want shrimp to be included. Unless you stick with smaller fish, you run a huge risk of those shrimp being a meal. Of course, the possibility of a betta getting along with shrimp is there. It all depends on the setup and the personality of the fish.

I'd say just get two oscars you won't be able to keep them their whole lives tho

Oscars get to be a foot long, sometimes more and have a massive bioload for that size tank.

I don't think it's possible that dude was being serious. If that's not the case, then there needs to be a scrub of some members here.

Back
Top Bottom