New fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Random Fishy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 23 gallon freshwater fishtank. I might remove a large goldfish I have in there and if I do I will have room to put around 3 fish in. Any ideas on small to medium sized but colorful fish that will settle in with my fish peacefully? I have a spotted pictus catfish, one Molly, a common Pleco, a mystery snail and just in case, a large fat oranda goldfish. Trying to be a specific as possible. I need fish that won't become large and bully fish, will leave scraps for my bottom feeders, (especially the snail) as they are hard for me to feed. They don't require any special care and most importantly they need to be fish that will stay near the middle or surface of the water.

So, any ideas?

A word of warning. That common pleco can get to be 1' - 2' long. Generally guppies and mollies are just fine to keep together. 3 fish doesn't give a lot if wiggle room as far as stocking goes. You could try some lyretail killifish, I've always had good luck with them. 4 - 5 harlequin rasboras might work because their bio load is minimal.

I have a 23 gallon freshwater fishtank. I might remove a large goldfish I have in there and if I do I will have room to put around 3 fish in. Any ideas on small to medium sized but colorful fish that will settle in with my fish peacefully? I have a spotted pictus catfish, one Molly, a common Pleco, a mystery snail and just in case, a large fat oranda goldfish. Trying to be a specific as possible. I need fish that won't become large and bully fish, will leave scraps for my bottom feeders, (especially the snail) as they are hard for me to feed. They don't require any special care and most importantly they need to be fish that will stay near the middle or surface of the water.

So, any ideas?

Sorry but just to confirm are you aware that goldfish and tropical fish shouldn't be housed together in the same tank? They both have very different temperature needs.

Sorry but just to confirm are you aware that goldfish and tropical fish shouldn't be housed together in the same tank? They both have very different temperature needs.

I've had the goldfish and tropical fish together for about four years and they both seem fine together. besides the goldfish is the last one I'm getting ever as he is causing s few problems for the aquarium. at the moment I have lots of problems with my aquarium and nobody on here seems to answer my posts on here about it. :( especially with my mystery snail.

I've had the goldfish and tropical fish together for about four years and they both seem fine together. besides the goldfish is the last one I'm getting ever as he is causing s few problems for the aquarium. at the moment I have lots of problems with my aquarium and nobody on here seems to answer my posts on here about it. :( especially with my mystery snail.

That's the reason you can't keep them together gold fish take a huge load on the tank and make it hard for the tropicals.

I did not know that a few years ago. :( the thing is though is that he's the only one who gives life to the aquarium too.

Trust me, we're just here to help. Before changing anything with your tank like adding any new fish you should address the oranda. Goldfish produce an enormous amount of waste and produce even more (unbelievably) when they're in warmer temperatures. They're usually housed in much larger tanks (or ponds) with other cold water fish. Do you regularly test your water with a good liquid test kit? If so what are your parameters? How often do you do water changes? These questions will help us help you with your tank. :)

Trust me, we're just here to help. Before changing anything with your tank like adding any new fish you should address the oranda. Goldfish produce an enormous amount of waste and produce even more (unbelievably) when they're in warmer temperatures. They're usually housed in much larger tanks (or ponds) with other cold water fish. Do you regularly test your water with a good liquid test kit? If so what are your parameters? How often do you do water changes? These questions will help us help you with your tank. :)

I'm sorry to say but I have no idea what you mean as I am just a beginner. :sorry:

Yup no prob! It's hard to be good fish owners sometimes but that article will help make it easier!

Yup no prob! It's hard to be good fish owners sometimes but that article will help make it easier!

Just a quick question though. Do you know how and what to give a mystery snail the calcium it needs that's low cost and without the requirement of having to scoop out leftovers and such? Such as a dissolving tablet to put in the filter? Oh and it won't cause havoc with my ph levels and such? Thanks in advance.

I know a lot of people use cuttlebone. You can usually find it in the bird section in your LFS.

Back
Top Bottom