New fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zipzap

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well, I really want to get a nice looking fish to put in my tank. I don't want any schoolers. I have a gourami, a loach, a guppy, and two harlequin rasboras. Please give suggestions for a twenty gallon tank! Thanks!

Well first of all there are done problems with your current stock. What kind of loach do you have? All loaches like to be in groups and not kept alone, but many of them get too big for a 20g.
Also you should get some more harlequin rasboras because they are schooling fish and need to be in groups of 6+
What type of gourami do you have?
The type of loach and gourami will help us figure out if there are any problems with your current stock. Depending on what type if gourami you have, there may not be much room for many more fish after you get more harlequin rasboras.

I have a kuhli loach. I used to have three, but he is very old and hardly moves around any more. I am planning on getting a few more rasboras. I have a Powder Blue Gourami.

You should definitely get some more kuhlis then. I'm sure your little guy would appreciate it, no matter his age. He will probably be more active with more of his own kind. This is very common for kuhlis.

After you do that and add the rasboras I think you'd be about stocked. You can always check aquadvisor though.

You might be able to get away with a couple more guppies.

You really should get 5-6 kuhlis and rasboras, they are schoolers. If you dont want schoolers you should think about finding a pet store that will take them off your hands. If you do that then you have more options. If you up your schools that you could add just another small fish. Badis Badis, or american flag fish would work.

To append on NYgiantsRP's post, scarlet gem badis are, well, red, and they stay a couple inches smaller. I think both badis and the scarlet gems would be an eyecatcher. Scarlet gem badis is known as dario dario in scientific terms.

This website generally isn't accepted to be some "prime stocking calculator" due to the fact that there are infinite other variables that aren't checked by that program.

As I said in another post, it's better check this calculator than put a lot of multiple species that you don't know in your tank. At least it give you infos on compatibility due to PH/Temp. And sometime about agression factor/sizes.

Give good advice for filtration too ! It's just a "general rules" website... If a noob select killies and piranha, then they'll at least see it's not compatible...

Back
Top Bottom