New Fish Day For 55g!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok! When I got home I turned out the tank lights and left the tv off and the blinds closed when they were acclimating. I drip acclimated the neons and did the floating while adding tank water to the bag in 10-15 minute intervals. I added them to the tank and left the lights out for an hour. They had about 4 hours of lights on and then it was lights out until this morning. When I was home 20 mins ago she was more active. She was staying in amongst the plants on the on end of the tank. I'll go ahead and turn out the lights when I get back home and leave them off until tomorrow. I'm sure the plants have gotten enough light today. I have a scheduled pwc tomorrow but I will hold off until the new additions are all acting well unless I get a reading that requires a pwc, but so far it looks like I shouldn't have any problems with that.
Ok, sounds like she is doing a bit better. I hope it's just stress and not something more serious.

I've had the lights off for a few hours. I was looking in the dark tank and didn't see her so I turned on the light. She was off swimming around. I noticed this so I took a picture and turned off the lights again. I will leave them off until the morning but I wanted to make sure she was ok. She looked good except for this spot behind her eye. Sorry for the pic quality being bad. It's the best I could get. Should I be concerned?

Bearchumjs said:
I've had the lights off for a few hours. I was looking in the dark tank and didn't see her so I turned on the light. She was off swimming around. I noticed this so I took a picture and turned off the lights again. I will leave them off until the morning but I wanted to make sure she was ok. She looked good except for this spot behind her eye. Sorry for the pic quality being bad. It's the best I could get. Should I be concerned?

I wouldn't think so, unless it was a raised bump, which would indicate a ln infection or a tumor. Keep an eye on it, but I wouldn't lose sleep over it. Lol

phoenixkiller said:
I wouldn't think so, unless it was a raised bump, which would indicate a ln infection or a tumor. Keep an eye on it, but I wouldn't lose sleep over it. Lol

Ok. I was thinking she may have gotten a scrape when she was netted at the store. There was a rock in the tank she was in. I'll watch her. The light being off is definitely helping her settle in. Hopefully by morning I can leave the light on.

It's funny, I thought I was going to have to worry myself over the neons. LOL!

I'm supposed to pick up a kribensis tomorrow but I called the lady and left a message asking if we can delay a few days. I want to make sure the new fish are adjusted before I add anything else.

Bearchumjs said:
Ok. I was thinking she may have gotten a scrape when she was netted at the store. There was a rock in the tank she was in. I'll watch her. The light being off is definitely helping her settle in. Hopefully by morning I can leave the light on.

It's funny, I thought I was going to have to worry myself over the neons. LOL!

I'm supposed to pick up a kribensis tomorrow but I called the lady and left a message asking if we can delay a few days. I want to make sure the new fish are adjusted before I add anything else.

Good idea, make sure to give them some time to settle in. I would be careful, I'm still a bit wary of the amount of fish you are adding very close to each other.

phoenixkiller said:
Good idea, make sure to give them some time to settle in. I would be careful, I'm still a bit wary of the amount of fish you are adding very close to each other.

Yeah. I've been thinking about that too. I've probably pressed my luck pretty hard with what I added yesterday. I figure if she can wait a week or so that would be alright? I imagine a month would be better but I don't want the poor guy getting harassed to death (the male and female pair pick on him I guess), but I also dont want to further stress my guys out or cause my tank to go into a mini cycle because of my own impatience. I just need to use my brain and not my impulsiveness on this.

If he's only about 1.5 - 2 inches and she doesn't want to wait that long would he be ok in my 5 gallon tank for a few weeks or is that not a good idea? If that's not a good idea and you think he'll be way to stressed I will tell her I'll contact her when I feel my 55 is ready for a new fish in a few weeks. Here's a shot of my 5 gal. I'm getting ready to clean it since there's no fish in it at the moment.

Yeah. I've been thinking about that too. I've probably pressed my luck pretty hard with what I added yesterday. I figure if she can wait a week or so that would be alright? I imagine a month would be better but I don't want the poor guy getting harassed to death (the male and female pair pick on him I guess), but I also dont want to further stress my guys out or cause my tank to go into a mini cycle because of my own impatience. I just need to use my brain and not my impulsiveness on this.

If he's only about 1.5 - 2 inches and she doesn't want to wait that long would he be ok in my 5 gallon tank for a few weeks or is that not a good idea? If that's not a good idea and you think he'll be way to stressed I will tell her I'll contact her when I feel my 55 is ready for a new fish in a few weeks. Here's a shot of my 5 gal. I'm getting ready to clean it since there's no fish in it at the moment.
She won't die in a week. Keep her in the main tank and make sure she isn't hiding in a dark corner. A 5 gallon is a great emergency QT, but is not a suitable solution long-term...

phoenixkiller said:
She won't die in a week. Keep her in the main tank and make sure she isn't hiding in a dark corner. A 5 gallon is a great emergency QT, but is not a suitable solution long-term...

Could I keep the 1.5-2 inch long krib in the 5 gallon for a week and it would be ok? Then I would move it into the DT. I just cleaned it up. It was time for its weekly pwc. I don't want to move the female platy fish. I think she's doing better. I'm just leaving her in the DT.

I turned the filter back on and some chunks of a soft light brown stuff came out. Any idea what it is? It just floats around and then settles on the bottom. I scooped a bunch out with a net. My filter seems to be running a little better since it shot out that stuff. Here's the best picture I could get.

Update: she is swimming about cautiously with her boyfriend. I'm pleased to see her moving about. :). All the neons look good. One has gotten his tail nipped. I don't know if it happened here or at petco. The neons were in a tank with a giant school of black skirts. So far so good on everyone. :)

I know I probably post too much and am way too impatient, but here goes.

I will be getting a male kribensis in about a week or so. The lady has agreed to hold off until my new fish are settled in and I dont want to spike my cycle by adding him too soon. So there's that.

Then, I really love the little neon black hi fin variatus! I'm wondering if in a month I could add 2 more females, as long as my current stock are healthy and happy. I am absolutely not adding any more fish after the krib for at least 3 weeks. I will curb my addiction by buying plants and snails.

Here is what my aquarium will have if I do the above two things:

2 rummy nose tetras
5 male endlers
6 neon tetras
1 krib
4 variatus

5 ghost shrimp
1 zebra nerite

Would I be at my limit or overatocked? I ask because I also eventually want a julii corydoras, mts, 3 more nerites, and maybe 5 or 6 more ghost shrimp. But I've read the julii's do better in groups of 3 so I don't know. I've got time to decide.

I swear it seems like I change my mind more than you change a newborns diaper...

Ps- I think the fish are mad at me because I didn't feed them this morning...

Pps- I'm buying some more ferts today since I must have thrown out my root tabs like an idiot.

Ppps- I tested ammonia again this morning and it's still at 0.

Bearchumjs said:
Could I keep the 1.5-2 inch long krib in the 5 gallon for a week and it would be ok? Then I would move it into the DT. I just cleaned it up. It was time for its weekly pwc. I don't want to move the female platy fish. I think she's doing better. I'm just leaving her in the DT.

I turned the filter back on and some chunks of a soft light brown stuff came out. Any idea what it is? It just floats around and then settles on the bottom. I scooped a bunch out with a net. My filter seems to be running a little better since it shot out that stuff. Here's the best picture I could get.

I would not keep the krib in there for very long, he's gonna be quite cramped in there. IMO he would be ok, but watch the water parameters in the five very closely. And I have no idea what the brown stuff is.

Bearchumjs said:
I know I probably post too much and am way too impatient, but here goes.

I will be getting a male kribensis in about a week or so. The lady has agreed to hold off until my new fish are settled in and I dont want to spike my cycle by adding him too soon. So there's that.

Then, I really love the little neon black hi fin variatus! I'm wondering if in a month I could add 2 more females, as long as my current stock are healthy and happy. I am absolutely not adding any more fish after the krib for at least 3 weeks. I will curb my addiction by buying plants and snails.

Here is what my aquarium will have if I do the above two things:

2 rummy nose tetras
5 male endlers
6 neon tetras
1 krib
4 variatus

5 ghost shrimp
1 zebra nerite

Would I be at my limit or overatocked? I ask because I also eventually want a julii corydoras, mts, 3 more nerites, and maybe 5 or 6 more ghost shrimp. But I've read the julii's do better in groups of 3 so I don't know. I've got time to decide.

I swear it seems like I change my mind more than you change a newborns diaper...

Ps- I think the fish are mad at me because I didn't feed them this morning...

Pps- I'm buying some more ferts today since I must have thrown out my root tabs like an idiot.

Ppps- I tested ammonia again this morning and it's still at 0.

The stocking list is ok, but get some friends for your 2 Rummynoses in a while. I would be careful about getting too much more, frankly I think you are pushing your luck as it is.

Bearchumjs said:
2 rummy nose tetras
5 male endlers
6 neon tetras
1 krib
4 variatus

5 ghost shrimp
1 zebra nerite

It's 55g right?
It's far from stocked IMO. You can up the school of neons to 10 or 12. IMO they act better and look better in larger groups. You can add as many nerites and shrimp as you want (within reason). Cories do better in groups of 6 or more so get 6. Of course up the school of rummies if you can.

I'd get more Rummies if I could. They *might* get some thursday and if they do it will be their last shipment and i dont want to get 5 more fish when i need to get a female variatus (explanation later in this post) and im getting a krib in a week. I guess I could order some from live aquaria? It would probably minimize their stress. I need to see if they have any kind of guarantee.

So I can do what I listed plus add a total of 6 cory cats, have a total of 10 neons, and add maybe 5 more Rummies bringing their school up to 7?

It is my 55 gallon, and I've got good filtration.

I've got a crypt lucens and some java moss coming this weekend so that's fun!

I may have to get another female variatus soon. The male is chasing the endlers and the ghost shrimp when they get close to him, or if he gets close to them. He patrols around like he owns the place. I wish he'd leave the neons alone. He is nipping their tail fins and I found a dead neon when I got home. Poor thing was probably harassed to death. :(

I took back the neons that had passed away and they tested my water with their paper strips. The guy told me my water ph is over 8.2 (it's not. I test it all the time. 7.8-8.0 is the normal readings I get.) and that my alkalinity is off the charts. So he said I should just do a cichlid tank. And you'll be shocked to hear that he told me NOT to use pH down.

I think I'm going to give up on tetra fish.

What do you guys think? Should I just leave my tetra schools alone or should I try and get more in a few weeks?

Why is fish keeping so hard! I thought it would be easier! I'm going to stop whining now. l

It's sad that they use strips to test with. Makes me glad to see my lfs pull out a master kit when impulse maniacs show up with a dead fish that didn't belong in the tank they had to find out they didn't cycle the tank nor do pwc's and the poor fish suffered.

Sometimes fish just aren't good stock and that's the downside to the hobby. But your definitely on the right track for your 55 but like mumma said no more impulse buys lol. Up your tetra schools to 8-10, corys in groups of 6 and whatever else just make sure they aren't loners. I'm anxious to see your 55 when it's done as I'm just beginning to prep my 55 also.

If you don't want neons I would add more rummynoses and cap out at 12-15 that would be a wicked shoal :D

It's 55g right?
It's far from stocked IMO. You can up the school of neons to 10 or 12. IMO they act better and look better in larger groups. You can add as many nerites and shrimp as you want (within reason). Cories do better in groups of 6 or more so get 6. Of course up the school of rummies if you can.
Ohhhhhhhhh I thought it was a 20 gallon. My bad.Yeah, don't worry about being at your limit, you are no where NEAR the limit. I agree, 5-6 cories is gonna be the best.

I took back the neons that had passed away and they tested my water with their paper strips. The guy told me my water ph is over 8.2 (it's not. I test it all the time. 7.8-8.0 is the normal readings I get.) and that my alkalinity is off the charts. So he said I should just do a cichlid tank. And you'll be shocked to hear that he told me NOT to use pH down.

I think I'm going to give up on tetra fish.

What do you guys think? Should I just leave my tetra schools alone or should I try and get more in a few weeks?

Why is fish keeping so hard! I thought it would be easier! I'm going to stop whining now. l
Get some more Neons. Neons are a tiny bit sensative, so some deaths is understandable. I will BEG you to get the API Freshwater Master Test Kit! It's the only one I trust, IME

Back
Top Bottom