New fish die instantly.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flOve58752O

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 29 gallon tank with only 2 fish. Any fish I buy dies instantly. What steps do I need to take that when I buy any new fish they won't die? Do I regulate it first with API kit? Will this effect the fish that our surviving currently if I regulate the water? Thanks for any help. It is really getting frustrating. :banghead:

I assume this isn’t a tank cycling question(?) but any more details on any water test checks and what are fish symptoms/ how quick to die?

@delapool I never tank cycle. I usually just add water when the tank starts getting low, where the water pouring from the filter gets annoying. I do not perform any water tests. Maybe this is my failure. I would say within a couple of hours they die. @ fishwonder hours.

@fishwonder. I just have the API PH test kit. I use API stress coat and API stress zyme. I let the water sit for 24 hours with an extra heater to keep the water the same temp before putting in tank. I will invest in this master kit link you sent me.Thanks. Currently out of stock on Amazon. Should I clean this tank as much as possible and try again or wait for until I get the kit?

Should I clean this tank as much as possible and try again or wait for until I get the kit?
Please explain... clean the tank? Is there an issue in the tank that you can see? Pictures would be good. Does the API Stress Coat have the + sign on it? Right now this is a mystery for us as you have fish and new ones die in hours. Again, tank was started when?

Try your local Walmart or local fish store for the test kit- https://www.walmart.com/ip/API-Fres...uarium-Water-Master-Test-Kit-1-Count/24871748

The inside of the tank looks okay. Water is clear and I do not see any issues. I meant remove half the tank water and refill and clean all filters. Petco has the kit. I will pick it up this weekend and report back my findings. Both API's have the + Tank is over 3 years old. I believe.

The inside of the tank looks okay. Water is clear and I do not see any issues. I meant remove half the tank water and refill and clean all filters. Petco has the kit. I will pick it up this weekend and report back my findings. Both API's have the + Tank is over 3 years old. I believe.
Do not clean any filters. Changing 50% is fine, but keep back at least one cup of that water to test to see if anthing is going on. Since you are going to Petco, pick up a bottle of API Tap Water Conditioner and use this. More later on that Stress Coat +, but don't use it.

I'm a newbie 14 months , so far no dead fish due to sickness, ( yes dead fish due to stupid mistakes .. even froze a whole tank of guppies...long story irrelevant, but not recommended )
But im absolutely certain I wouldnt still have any of my fish now if I didn't have an api freshwater master test kit, its been a lifesaver , the peace of mind makes the cost worth while. If ur ammonia is at a lethal level its invisible to the naked eye,
If ur nitrite is at a lethal level again its invisible to the naked eye,
Same with ph or nitrates ..
They only way for me to know is with testing, u can look at fish behavior but this can hit and miss ,
Certain commen behavior changes eg fin clamping and bottom sitting means lethal damage, if they get to that stage ur tank water is really toxic ,
With regular testing of ur water u will never see fin clamping , bottom sitting etc , u can fix the problem with water changes before it gets that bad .if u only have one tank , an api freshwater master test kit will last u a couple of year's, they are well worth that initial cost .

Great info pyealands! Thanks.

@ fishwonder I didn't clean any filters and didn't change 50% of water. It was about 75%, so I just top off. I let the water sit for 24 hours made sure the temperature was the same as tank and added it 30 minutes ago. I didn't use the stress coat+ after adding water. Going for the petco run tomorrow for the master kit and the wa20210219_190533.jpg

20210219_190543.jpgter conditioner. Attached a couple of pics of tank.

I see you have opaline gourami. What is other fish?

If nitrites or ammonia are high, you'll have your answer. If they are very high, I would vacuum gravel and do a big 75% or more water change. Always use water conditioner. Feed lightly, every other day and keep checking water parameters.

If it's not water problems is it possible that your fish be are being aggressive enough to kill or stress out new fish? I didn't see how long you said it takes for your fish to die.

I'm betting it's a water issue though.

Oh Crap!

I have a white kissing gourami and a blue gourami, but I have bad news..... see attached. On the day I received the master api kit and water conditioner, the tank decided to give up on me. The back seal went and water started leaking. What a mess. I really hope you guys can give me advice to help me rebuild? I also hope the fish survive in the bucket until I get a new tank.

Attachments

• 20210223_151030.jpg
    20210223_151030.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 56
  • 20210223_151101.jpg
    20210223_151101.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 47
Keep your media wet and open to the air and your bacteria will survive for weeks or months. Sorry about the tank.

Back
Top Bottom