New fish for my tank!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mustangman11224

Aquarium Advice Freak
What do you guys think.... It's a butterfly loach I think!!! Here's a picture I also got a snail and some other type I don't know what he is. I added then to my 36 gal tank that has guppies tetra and my pleco.

Attachments

• image-1027570179.jpg
    image-1027570179.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 87
  • image-1844476421.jpg
    image-1844476421.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 84
  • image-1199740860.jpg
    image-1199740860.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 64
The butterfly fish is actually a Borneo, or hillstream loach, they are a cold water species, so I would rehome that, the snail is a gold apple snail, under the right conditions it can grow to the size of an apple, hence the name, you need to add kuttle bone or a source of calcium to the tank for the shell, the other fish is a false Julii catfish, they need groups if at least 4, great scavengers though!

The butterfly fish is actually a Borneo, or hillstream loach, they are a cold water species, so I would rehome that, the snail is a gold apple snail, under the right conditions it can grow to the size of an apple, hence the name, you need to add kuttle bone or a source of calcium to the tank for the shell, the other fish is a Julii catfish, they need groups if at least 4, great scavengers though!

Ok I have a ten gal tank... Would the hill stream loach be ok in a ten gal tank? I currently have fry in there but there big enough so I can put them in my community tank. I have 2 Julii catfish I'll get two more of them... And the snail... Is there like a supplement to add? Thanks for the help thanks.

Reticulated Hillstream Loach (Sewellia lineolata)

I've kept one in temps up to 85 and he thrived. But in the wild they prefer cooler water and fast currents

It's not good to keep cold water in tropical temps, a goldfish can thrive in a 80 degree tank, but won't live to its full extent
OP, when you are done with the 10 gallon, I would suggest putting one more loach in it and putting up WCMM's make a cold water nano tank, with normal WCMM and and golden ones that will be pretty good
Use cuttle bone to supplement the snail

I actually have a high current for my tank, my filter is for A 65 gal, and I have a 36 gal tank so the water returning is a heavy current from The spray bar. This new fish store just opened like, a mile from my house lol, he has awesome fish if I did t already have a common pleco I would have bought the golden nugget pleco. He is sooooooo
Cool. Before I Only had a petco to go to and they are very limited because they are very small. I
Might buy this black spotted bristle nose for my 36 gal he looked cool too. My common will go
To my 75 gal tank. This guy said he would order any fish I needed, is there any rare cool fish that would be good in a 75 gal tank? It's not set up yet for fish but I wanted to start to make a stocking list.

A 10g is too small for a Hill stream loach. They can be safely kept in temps to 75 degree but do need some current and like smooth, rounded, different size rocks and pebbles. The hardest part about keeping them is their diet. They need algae, will eat diatoms, but unless you grow algae on rocks for them, which is what I used to do, they need to have a supplemental addition of items such as kale, spinach, and romaine lettuce. I would hold them under hot tap water for a minute of two in order to soften them up slightly and would just put a rock on top of them in the bottom of the tank to hold them down.

We also had an apple snail who lived for years that we would summer outside in the ponds. We would bring him in each fall and I will warn you they will climb out of the tank and stroll around. Ours could escape no matter what we did for a lid. He fell a couple times and broke his shell that we had to repair and he will need to be fed a variety of veggies and algae tablets to stay healthy. They also have a high bioload especially as they get larger.

It's not good to keep cold water in tropical temps, a goldfish can thrive in a 80 degree tank, but won't live to its full extent
OP, when you are done with the 10 gallon, I would suggest putting one more loach in it and putting up WCMM's make a cold water nano tank, with normal WCMM and and golden ones that will be pretty good
Use cuttle bone to supplement the snail

I'm a noob still at this what's a wcmm and ok I'll use cuttle none supliment.

A WCMM is a White Cloud Mountain minnow, there are the normal ones, golden ones, and long finned variety if each, some variation to your tank

As long as your tanks Kh is at least 4 then there is enough calcium in the water for snails. If you want a good calcium supplement adding a small, and I mean small amount of Montmorillonite Calcium clay weekly to a tank is great for snails. You find it in pond or koi sections.

As long as your tanks Kh is at least 4 then there is enough calcium in the water for snails. If you want a good calcium supplement adding a small, and I mean small amount of Montmorillonite Calcium clay weekly to a tank is great for snails. You find it in pond or koi sections.

Great!!! Thanks soo much I will defiantly do
That!

Back
Top Bottom